What happened to Yahoo?

Anna

In 1998 Yahoo was very succesfull. How did Yahoo lose market dominance? Was this inevitable or could Yahoo have averted the decline of its revenues and market share? Did it happen because Yahoo agreed to use and promote Google? Does anybody have some thoughts or queses about this?

ElixantTechnology

Google happened. Google expanded from being a search engine to tapping into just about every marketplace. By doing so, Google basically became the one-stop shop for everything internet related (correct me if I am wrong).

emily93

yup!!! My friends often tease me that "google does not cost any price when you find something" :)) About yahoo, when i was 15, we call "growing-up time", i posted tons of stuffs on it. It seems like my small world. and almost 90% my friends used yahoo to contact. But at that time, internet was not popular in my country, when i knew, all my posts had been deleted. Now, im 20, im still prefer yahoo to facebook though ppl did not use it anymore.

priya_soren

The main reason behind their downfall was because they don't realize the potential of a search engine and they kept themselves as a web directory google sense the opportunity and they created a better search engine then yahoo.

ericplotz1

As I said before in a thread, Yahoo is now the default browser of firefox, so we will see a small incline in users. Where I think the kicker is going to come in at is with Amazon in the future. Look at the relationships between Amazon, Yahoo, and Bing. I'm waiting for these 3 to make a merger. With the decline in Amazon's stock, I don't think this is too far around the corner.

If this happens, you will see a HUGE turn around for Amazon.

First they need to make their browser just a little more user friendly.

If they followed Googles footsteps and simply used a homepage with a browser on it, they would do so much better. I'm just not trying to look at all of this nonsense when I am on a mission for information:

Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 5.03.47 PM.jpg

That being said. If Yahoo made a few minor adjustments with the way the user experience is carried out and invested a little money OR made a merger with Amazon, these guys could easily compete with Google.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views