Does anyone use Amazon web hosting?

Jovani

I saw some websites using Amazon when I checked who hosting this
Although I don't like to ask this question because it related to a hosting brand name but if you used hosting there, please give me any thoughts

thanks and waiting for valuable responses :)

ElixantTechnology

I've always looked at Amazon as being the place you go to buy books or movies, never hosting. I've heard mixed reviews about their services. They utilise Xen as a Hypervisor which is nice, though they're pretty secretive about their infrastructure so it's kind of difficult to truly understand what's going on under the hood. For the cost, there are many much better alternatives.

imrehost

Yes we do. Amazon is a huge player in this market and so far ahead of the competition.
From a single control panel you can deploy your servers in different datacentres, set up load balancing, set up backups.... etc etc
You can run a virtual datacentre on the back of their products.
The possibilities are huge.
The only draw back is the complexity. If you are not a sysadmin or very familiar with devops then you will struggle.
You can not compare amazon hosting with cheap godaddy or other $2 per month hosts. You would use Amazon to setup infrastructure to support applications that need high availability, redundancy and security. So sites that have very high traffic levels that can not afford to go down.

Jovani

@imrehost
I visited/searched amazon hosting but it didn't look like a webhosting site with hosting features and price.
For example, if I want a hosting package such as a VPS with them then it didn't have out there.

ElixantTechnology

ElixantTechnology
If you're looking for a hosting provider generally I wouldn't recommend you go with a service such as Amazon or Rackspace, their systems are primarily built for big players with quite a bit of knowledge and experience under their belt. Not to mention prices are extremely high for what is provided.

imrehost

No same features. You have to set up your own infrastructure.
That is the point of Amazon, you build the infrastructure just like block of lego

TSOHost - Akin

In addition to this, I have heard that as a smaller player, the level of support that you receive is not as good as if you were to choose a smaller hosting provider although I suppose this is understandable.

imrehost

@TSOHost
You host one of our clients and we know you do a good job ;-)
Yes, if you want support, Amazon is not for end users, small to larger website owners should be coming to use.
Amazon is more for people in the trade.

TSOHost - Akin

TSOHost - Akin
Thanks for the positive feedback! :)

And to clarify, I have nothing against the big players like Amazon or Rackspace because they do have a wealth of experience/knowledge as well and a huge infrastructure to their availability however from a service-level point of view, unless you are a big player yourself or have a specific need for their large infrastructure I would say that you may be able to find a smaller hosting provider that will offer you a more personal level of service that would be beneficial.

abhishekbt

I think that Amazon is not providing predefined packages and that they are providing customized infrastructure for all depending on the requirement and that is not for small scale websites and should be used when high performance is needed according to your need.

ElixantTechnology

ElixantTechnology
Even when high performance is needed, a managed dedicated server or multiple managed dedicated servers will go a long way. Studies have shown that Cloud Computing Infrastructure only shows a 2-7% increase of reliability over running bare metal servers, sometimes even less. Keep in mind that providers will need to routinely update the software for the hypervisor utilized to virtualize the environment, and in doing so will need to reboot their entire infrastructure. When working with Cloud or Virtualization, reboots can take quite a large amount of time, even upwards to an hour. If anything bad were to happen in the process, this time can be extended greatly.

However, by using dedicated equipment, with the right configuration the need to reboot can be completely eliminated. From live kernel updates to harddrive failures, you can see absolutely no downtime.

Beyond that, there is very little performance gain when utilizing cloud or virtual infrastructure, if any, in comparison to dedicated hardware. If anything, the only real benefit would be self-healing capabilities as well as the convinenience of deployment.

imrehost

This is a really good story and shows you the type of infrastructure that you can create on Amazon. (and the resilience)
[URLnf=http://www.computerworld.com/article/2691578/data-center-cloud/how-netflix-survived-the-amazon-ec2-reboot.html]here[/URLnf]

ketul

The Amazon Web Services website refers to several case studies in which Pharmaceutical applications leverage their IaaS platform. Assay Depot is one example. I would guess the vendor audit involves a trip to the AWS data centers to be used (i.e. in Virginia or SF Bay area) as well as a review of the application providers quality systems.

SalauddinBappi

Yes we do. Amazon is an enormous player in this market thus a long ways in front of the opposition.

From a solitary control board you can convey your servers in various datacentres, set up load adjusting, set up backups.... and so on and so on

You can run a virtual datacentre on the back of their items.

The conceivable outcomes are colossal.

The main downside is the multifaceted nature. On the off chance that you are not a sysadmin or extremely comfortable with devops then you will battle.

You can not contrast amazon facilitating and shoddy godaddy or other $2 every month has. You would utilize Amazon to setup framework to bolster applications that need high accessibility, repetition and security. So locales that have high movement levels that can not stand to go down.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.