When should I move to a VPS or a Dedicated Server?

JoeHamilton

I'm having 2 shared hosting plans on HG (Baby plans) but feel that "Shared" is limiting my websites, I don't know a VPS or a Dedicated Server can have what advantages over a shared hosting. Would you mind advising me when should I move to a VPS or a dedicated server?
I'm feeling bored with shared hosting packages :(

TSOHost - Akin

I'm having 2 shared hosting plans on HG (Baby plans) but feel that "Shared" is limiting my websites, I don't know a VPS or a Dedicated Server can have what advantages over a shared hosting. Would you mind advising me when should I move to a VPS or a dedicated server?
I'm feeling bored with shared hosting packages :(
Hi Joe,

Are you having specific issues with the current Shared Hosting plan that you're on? (Aside from being bored of course :p)

You can, of course, move onto a little cPanel VPS of your own but as mentioned elsewhere in this forum, shared hosting does have a few advantages over VPS/Dedicated Servers.

Reactions: JoeHamilton

JoeHamilton

JoeHamilton
I'm getting the problem on CPU usage and website loading, sometimes my sites ran slowly, were they maintaining their system at that time?

TSOHost - Akin

TSOHost - Akin
HI Joe,

I can't say if they were maintaining their systems at that time but what I can tell you that this is one of the most common issues with having a shared hosting plan and the clue is in the name. The resource, (including CPU) are shared between several hundred clients. This means that if a user on the same shared platform is receiving a lot of traffic or perhaps trying to run a CPU-intensive process, this will affect the speed at which your sites run.

Moving to a VPS or Dedicated server gives you dedicated resources that no other user will be able to interfere with however please bear in mind that upgrading to a VPS isn't necessarily an instant upgrade. A VPS can have dedicated resources but if those resources are lower than what you usually have on the shared cloud platform the site will run slowly 100% of the time.

ElixantTechnology

ElixantTechnology
This is true, when you're dealing with shared/vps hosting you're dealing with shared resources and it can be pretty hit/miss when it comes to being able to properly utilize the system(s). Going into Dedicated Hosting you're guaranteed everything that you pay for, however sometimes it's not necessary to jump up to Dedicated so much as with a provider who properly distributes customers on their platforms shared hosting can still be quite powerful.

I personally believe that you may be seeing a lot of issues as EIG (Company who now owns HostGator) is known for overselling their servers and improper optimizations/configurations. 4 years ago HostGator was at the top of the game, one of the most respected Shared Hosting providers out there. As an example, about 40% of my entire client base is made up of previous HostGator customers who have noticed these changes.

There are a lot of hosting providers out there, I wouldn't recommend jumping and spending money that is not necessary when switching to a more reliable provider might be the answer. However, if VPS resources are needed, I have a couple recommendations for companies I have worked with in the past that might be able to help you out.

ElixantTechnology

Joe, I'm telling you this right now, it's not the fact that the Shared Hosting plan is restricting you, it is the fact that your are placed on an oversold EIG server. Ever since the HostGator buyout things have been on a downward spiral, don't worry though, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Get in touch with me, I'll give you a 30 day trial run on one of our high end servers, if that's not enough for you then sure, move on up to a VPS.

buzybee-kevin

There are many reasons to move to a VPS or Dedicated server one is the need to move and there is the want to move. There is so much more you can do with a VPS and a dedicated server over shared hosting. But then there is the budget aspect of the move. A VPS and dedicated server will be significantly more expensive. Especially since you are moving from a shared hosting account to no dough a fully managed VPS!

If budget is not a concert then I would move right away since you say you are board and it sounds like your websites could use the power.

But what I would do if I was in your shoes and budget was a concern I would look at some companies that have higher quality shared hosting plans than what you are currently on. Stay away from hosts that offer unlimited hosting accounts.

It’s not the HostGator or EIG overloads their servers so much and they do it. Its that they control how much CPU RAM that will your shared hosting account will receive. They keep reducing it to cram more customers on their servers. When this happens your don't know what is allocated to your website all you know is you have hit a limit. For example years ago they may have given a customer 25% of one CPU core but now they may only give you 5% then force you to move to a VPS plan.

There are many different VPS technologies out there some offer dedicated resource and others act similar to a shared hosting environment but containerized. Most people do not fully understand the difference.

OpenVZ Containerized shared hosting benefit much less expensive because host can resell CPU, RAM Disk space that you don't use. Draw backs easily over sold. Benefits its cheap.

KVM, XenPV and Xen HVM. Full Visualization can run windows, Resources are allocated Disks run on actual partitions, less likely to be over sold. Draw backs more expensive because disk space cannot be resold. Benefits runs like a dedicated server and more efficient with CPU and RAM.

TejasWebHosting

Great write up, busybee-Kevin.

The increase in cost usually comes from the need to purchase the licences that is typically included in the reseller plan. So as someone has already mentioned, you might be better off finding a better/faster reseller plan.

I hope this helps.

Euservr

If you are facing cpu high load, website load slow then you should move to a vps. Vps with a cPanel is easy to manage, but you can go with no cPanel too.

Older threads
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.