Can I change Main Address IP on my VPS?

Jovani

I don't know it's possible or not if I require my hosting provider change my main IP adress for any reasons if my IP blocked by google or got into ip blacklist network or something else.
Are there any things to do if I want to change my IP address?
Sorry, this is only my question, it's not real, I want just to know to if bad case can happen :D

Hostname.club

You can ask to change main IP of your VPS, however it is a work from your hosting provider, not you.

Reactions: JoeHamilton

JoeHamilton

JoeHamilton
It charges some fees for that?

Any problems can have after changed IP like we must re-config some thing or re-install web control panel on our hosting?

ElixantTechnology

ElixantTechnology
If cPanel or DirectAdmin are installed on the server, it is recommended that you reformat the server. You will also need to order a new license or have your current license reissued for the new IP address. Any software licenses on any website on the server will need to be reissued. You might need to update your apache configuration if your IPs are hardcoded into it. You will need to update DNS for any domain names, as well as rDNS for the IP Address. At the same time you will have to wait for DNS to re-propogate. Beyond all of this, there may be other software failures depending on your configuration, but I can't say this for sure.

If you change your IP, I recommend just starting fresh. However, eventually this will catch up with you. When you get an IP blacklisted for any reason, it costs time and money for the Hosting Provider to resolve this for future customers. Most Hosting Providers utilize a tool such as FraudRecord which is basically a database of all malicious users by all hosting providers. By IP, Email, Name, Domain, Address, Phone Number, ETC you can be traced back to any account with any host, and if you blacklisted any IPs, most hosts will stop providing services to you. This is becoming a common practice.

Here is one as an example -

https://www.fraudrecord.com/api/?showreport=8d69a9c50549d769

In the end, you can end up getting put in this directory and losing the opportunity to ever be hosted with a reputable company. I can even search potential customers, as an example, when I search Joe Hamilton, you come up clean.

https://www.fraudrecord.com/api/?showreport=177f738136648da4

(Just wanted to use that as a second example, let me know if you want it deleted, even though it's clean)

ElixantTechnology

Unfortunately if you IP address ends up on a blacklist for spamming, they usually block the whole subnet as people will go and change their main IP. Same for Google as well, they will either block a /29 or /24 not just a singular IP.

Once the IP has been blacklisted, Spamhaus will contact the Abuse contact for the IP, and depending on your host, they might suspend your services.

If you have software configured on the server that is dependent on the IP, then it is not a good idea to change it at the operating system level. If you are using linux, it would be an ifcfg file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

Once again, changing your IP would probably have little to no impact if you have ended up on a Blacklist.

Hassan

yes there is a fee for new ip address and you dont need re-config or reinstall anything.

Starfire

Starfire
I don't agree with you. we need to re-install from the scratch if we change the IP as @ElixantTechnology answered above, unless we are using a shared hosting and hosting providers will do that

Hassan

There is no need for reformat the server or order new license for new ip address is just waste of time about dns changes its normal but nothing major need to be done over ip change.

ElixantTechnology

ElixantTechnology
Control Panel & Software Licenses are IP specific, if that IP Address changes then the software licenses need to be updated as well. Either way, it is best practice to reformat the server if such a huge takes place, even if nothing were to go wrong, in the event that it did you'd probably rather be more safe than sorry.

Typically when a provider changes IPs this can be due to numerous reasons. First off the host can be migrating Datacenters. Secondly maybe the Provider has requested it's own IP space from Arin, and needs to turn in the IP space it was assigned by their BGP. Usually when a provider changes the IP address of a server they will put a new box online and migrate the accounts over to it, rather than having to deal with changing things all over so that there are no failures.

Hassan

you mean if you change ip you need to reinstall operating system and softwares on it? make no sense if you can sort out things without it whats the point of reinstalling everything?

Starfire

Starfire
yes I think so, do i need to re-install my softwares/system after changed IP?

Hostname.club

Hostname.club
It depends your software. Some scripts require re-update from license provider like WHMCS or CS-Cart. See a document/wiki of a script author for "migrating" or "move to another server" section.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views