Are Directory Links Still Worth in 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeHamilton

Hi
I don't know after google updates then directory links still worth in 2015 or not?
I heard that g00gle updated 500 times a year then everything could change :D
please share your thought

ericplotz1

Hi
I don't know after google updates then directory links still worth in 2015 or not?
Not sure.

I never really used directory links because I could see that everyone was doing it in Black hat SEO and google was bound to set up an algo for this.

PBN and high PR home page links are where it's at. But PBN will probably go in 2016. Who knows

Epic

Directories are still a useful and important source of traffic and back links as long as your using decent quality directories to submit your websites links to.

Nytshade

There are still some good directories that were not hit by Google, but directories work well for local seo. For global rankings they might not be as powerful as they were before but they still have a small effect.

The way Google is fighting back to PBNs is by checking whether the site is active or not, so if you get a link from a static website that has old backlinks and not getting any activity then Google will penalize your site. This is taking effect slowly, so I agree with what Eric said about PBNs being dead by 2016.

So I would advise you to avoid anything that has to do with gaming the system because when it's hit by an algorithm your business is dead and you have to look for the next loophole. So do some real company/business stuff and you'll rank well for a long period of time.

Rely on organic backlinks, don't put backlinks in your internet marketing plan. That's the best advise I can give you.

SEOPub

SEOPub
I'm sorry. I have no idea where you heard that story, but it is not true at all. Google is not penalizing websites for having links from static sites. There are tons of great, high quality sites that have not changed their content or links in over 10 years. Google is not running around punishing the sites they are linking to.

I have been building private networks for over 10 years. If there was any truth to this, I would be the first to tell you because I would have been hammered by Google long ago. The majority of my private networks are static websites.

In fact, I think a good quality static website is less obvious as a private network than the traditional blog crap that most people use as a private network where they just pump out crappy post after crappy post and toss some links in.

Content by Rhonda

I actually owned a directory for almost two years and it got so spammy I deleted it and said no more. There are plenty of good ways to get back links I would think. I have heard that yahoo and dmoz directories are still good to be in but frankly I'm not sure, plus they are hard to get into.

Right now I am not using any directories.

kb24

No they don't carry as much weight as they used to. You are better off putting your content on your own site. Over time you will get ranked in google.

EmmaCarter

Actually, web directory links are still an effective choice for getting ranked in search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo. However, it will be recommended to build high quality and high page ranked directory links.

thakurblogger

Hi
I do use directory submission, it's a best way to get quality backlinks and good amount of traffic for free. The only thing that most of us hate about Directory submission is the time that it takes to approve a submission.
Because this most of us are now ignoring directory submissions.
:)

PTTed

Yes directory links still work for SEO. However, the overwhelming vast majority of directory sites are totally worthless for SEO.

There are a few things that you have to look for:
1) Does the directory have any link juice? (Meaning PageRank from inbound links that pass PageRank)
2) Will the page that your link comes from be a page that has a meaningful amount of PageRank? (like at least PR1 to the best of your ability to measure it) If not, then the link is of little value at all.
3) Is the link going to be dofollow or nofollow? Nofollow = worthless
4) Does the directory link out to spam sites? If it does link out to a significant number of spam sites (like one spam link per page or more) then don't bother with that directory.
5) Does the directory sell links? If it does and it makes it obvious that it does sell them, then don't bother.

Links from popular directories that are juicy enough still do work for SEO. In fact they work well. (Based on my experience.)

Last edited:

tk_hassan

Yes, they are but you should only use those web directories which are working for more than a year and have at least PR2

AndiLim

We still consider directory sites in promoting our portal, I guess it still work as a good backlink.

hrishivardhan

Hi
I have used directories for client works, but most of them are in pending approval after 6 months of waiting. So it is waste of time to submit your website in directory.

Danlucy

This is a horrible suggestion. PR has not been updated in almost 2 years now. If you are doing anything based on PR, you are doing it wrong.
Agree with you.

Yes, they are but you should only use those web directories which are working for more than a year and have at least PR2
Maybe he came from the past and thinking now is in 2000.

rajivsinghi

Hi
Directories are still a best way to build back links. But the one condition should be there is all directory sites should be do follow so that they can pass Link Juice.. I am Working as SEO and created quality links and site did not hurt by any update and still ranking well.

So work on quality not quantity....

Thanks

softnwords

Directory links any more good for ranking but needed for organic traffic.If you have your site listed in 1000s of directories you may have a chance of visitors coming from at least 10 from all 1000 links per day.This is not bad and these traffic really worth because they trigger clicks out of the interest that person search for.So more sales

Allchat

I used to use the directories myself.

When I first started years ago it wasn't such a bad idea but I wouldn't use them now as I personally believe that they take away from YOUR seo.

And after a while you just stop getting traffic from them because your links become (For lack of a better word) stale, as in (they don't get seen anymore).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Older threads
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views