Should I buy SSL certificate?

NickTheMusketeer

We all know that SSLs not only tend to make websites to look trustworthy but they are also protecting you from securing transactions on your website.

The question is; should I buy and install a SSL certificate and would that help me with ranking?
Couple of years ago, the answer would be no. However, that is no longer the case.

Couple of months ago, Google announced that they will be giving a ranking boost to all websites that have an SSL certificate. What made them do that? Well, the popularity of SSL as well as the amount of small business and large communities being build every day led them to make this decision.

In other words, if you have a community or a website that is offering a product, regardless if it includes a credit/debit card processing gateway on the actual website, you should purchase and install even the cheapest SSL certificate on your website simply because it will make your website look trustworthy, secure the transactions and sessions as well as (now) rank your website even higher.

SSLs do not cost a lot anymore. Why not make a small investment for a small good result? Food for thought!

rwsorensen

WMS Marketplace Seller
I'm not sure about SSL certificate can help our site improve the rankings. Some site I saw it got higher ranking after changed to SSL, but some site drop traffic. I don't know why but maybe they didn't follow guides before changes (Like SEO or Redirections)

We're having some business websites that using SSL. That's really necessary to make our customers trust that they are safe while they are sending money to our bank accounts :)

NickTheMusketeer

Especially for business, an SSL (preferably EV [Extended Validation]) can work as a seal of trust. That's another reason why Google decided to take SSL certificates under their consideration for ranking boost.

Hassan

SSL is the backbone of our secure Internet and it protects your sensitive information as it travels across the world. It keeps the Internet from being ruled by anarchists and criminals and provides many direct benefits to you and your customers.

laurasmith

Why SSL required?
In the wake of frequent cyber attacks security of user's data, personal and sensitive information became an important need. Study shows encrypted data is harder for hackers to breach.

SSL certificate encrypts website and user's data using strong cryptographic algorithm and also secures the communication between client (browser) and server.

SSL certificate encrypt website using 256 or higher encryption strength which finds harder to break.

For E-commece business, Banking or Social networks where users do financial transactions and shares sensitive information, SSL plays a vital role to secure them. The trust seal and green address bar features of SSL certificate earns user's trust and indicates the website is encrypted with complex cryptography and information shared here will not be accessible by other person.

Some SSL Certificate comes up with extra featured called as Vulnerability scanner which scans website against vulnerability & secure it that keep hackers in a bay.

ElixantTechnology

For true trust in the world of being an online service provider it is recommended not to purchase the cheapest SSL Certificate that you can find (domain-validated SSL is not considered to be trusted in regards to Search Engine bots). EV-SSL might be a little bit on the pricey side, and you may need to jump through a lot of hoops to get one (business validation, identity validation, etc), however it is an expense that you will notice is of great benefit to you.

For the longest time I utilized simple domain validated SSL certificates for my online business', however, since I have made the change to utilizing an EV-SSL certificate I have seen a great increase in trust between my business and the customers that utilize the services that I offer them.

Anybody can get an SSL Certificate, however an EV-SSL is a little bit harder to achieve.

NickTheMusketeer

NickTheMusketeer
I think GoDaddy is giving out EV-SSLs to individuals and small groups but I am not quite sure. I will report back once I make a small research on it and let you know.

However, I still agree with you regarding EV-SSL. It stands up for its meaning (Extended Validation) and it makes the website even more trustworthy.

ElixantTechnology

Whether they are providing them are not, before getting one you should know about the validation process that is behind an EV-SSL Certificate. First they verify that you own the domain, which is a typical automated process. Next, they verify your identity by taking scanned copies of your identification. Next, they verify your business registration & license (You must be a legally registered entity in your Country/State/Province/City). Lastly, they verify your business and contact information by looking your business up in such reasources as Yellowpages & Google Maps.

In some instances, for example if you are not listed in a directory such as Yellowpages & Google Maps, you will be required to appoint a notary public who will verify, authenticate and sign-off on the above mentioned documents and identification. The entire process takes between 3 and 14 days.

ElixantTechnology

Just thought I would put this out there, for those of you who are wanting to try things out and see if an SSL Certificate would be the best option for you, we are giving out free 90 day trials for Comodo's PositiveSSL Certificates. You can grab one by visiting [URLnf="http://www.elixant-tech.com/ssl-certificates"]here[/URLnf]

Just scroll down and click the fancy FREE badge on the right-hand side of the screen. This is of not cost to anyone. The only reason I am adding this to the thread is because whether or not you decide to purchase an SSL Certificate, it is always a good idea to at least give things a try.

LanceBachmann

Definitely it will help your website. Firstly your website gain trust from visitors second as few month back Google has updated this in Official Webmaster Central blog that in coming days HTTPS will be considered as a ranking signal.

See this - googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.in/2014/08/https-as-ranking-signal.html

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views