CodeCademy Alternatives?

The Overseer

Hey, I'm not much of a programmer, although I am trying to learn more about it. I mean I am pretty decent at building sites on WordPress and such, but I certainly wouldn't classify myself as a programmer. I've used CodeCademy to learn more about it, but I feel that it has pretty big training wheels. A few of my friends feel the same way too. What are your thoughts on CC and do you know of any alternatives? Thanks in advance.

webdesign

Hey, I'm not much of a programmer, although I am trying to learn more about it. I mean I am pretty decent at building sites on WordPress and such, but I certainly wouldn't classify myself as a programmer. I've used CodeCademy to learn more about it, but I feel that it has pretty big training wheels. A few of my friends feel the same way too. What are your thoughts on CC and do you know of any alternatives? Thanks in advance.
I have not ever heard about CodeCademy before. Perhaps, I have studied with my ways. I learned Flash and I can create complex animations, Photoshop, Corel draw, CSS & HTML to design cool templates. I learn PHP & MySQL, template engines and created dynamic sites from scratch...etc. From these knowledge I can see how they did on cms like wordpress, joomla, drupal..etc easily and build custom script easily too. I used to open web script to view their codes, it helps me learn quickly.

From basic knowledge about CSS, I even can learn and design a responsive design for some days or shorter.

W3school is also good place for beginners, I would suggest you try videos from lynda or read ebooks programming from amazon..etc.

Besides, I learn more things about IM, affiliate marketing, especially SEO on this forum. I can combine web design techniques with SEO like on-page SEO. It's great combinations :D

I think I learned so many things relate to website, marketing...and combining them into one :eek:

Amanda

In response to this, there are a lot of places you can learn to code. I saw in one response above, the user mentioned W3Schools. That is probably the absolute best site for a beginner. Another site I'd recommend is Team Tree House. They allow a 14 day free trial, but they are a paid subscription. They provide a lot of hands on tutorials including videos and are pretty detailed. Every lesson in every course is done in video format. They quiz you and have you complete projects. It truly is a great resource.

Last edited by a moderator:

michaelswengel

Treehouse is awesome! I pay like $25 per month for that site, but they have great lessons on lots of languages and topics.

They're more in depth than Codecademy. Check it out.

Seller

I have actually picked up quite a bit from w3schools just from finding them in Google searches when I was looking for them. Everything is easy to understand, even for beginners.

christax

I have actually picked up quite a bit from w3schools just from finding them in Google searches when I was looking for them. Everything is easy to understand, even for beginners.
I find w3schools more basic knowledge and you need to combine these lessons into one and it is difficult to build a complete web project.

try Free code camp
Never heard of this before.

Seller

Seller
Yeah you are right about that. I noticed that much of the information was incomplete but it at least gave me some kind of starting point. I'm still learning myself so it takes me longer to figure out things.

SethTurin

Highly recommend Team Tree House, as well as Coursera.

But in general I want to add that one of the best ways to grow your knowledge is JUST START DOING. Pick a task and google how to do it in whatever language you need. Find a script where it already happened, and dig in. See if you can recreate it. Spending a lot of time learning the basics is important but so is putting the wheels to the road!

achat

CodeAvengers.com – Their online tutorial focuses on learning JavaScript through a series of exercises, much like CodeAcademy.

mohit0707

I use Lynda there are very popular courses. Udemy is also the best alternative.

chongjasmine

Udemy has some good courses going for less than $10.
Be sure to use coupon codes, though, if you are using udemy.

LearnTheNew

edx and coursera are the best resourses for all software programming courses

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views