Important things to consider when selecting an unmanaged VPS?

roggy

Hello,

Do you have any experience on managing a managed vps. I'd like to know what are the important things to consider when selecting an unmanaged VPS?

My site is running with php language and mysql database on a shared hosting, but I want to move to a vps because as i knew it can allow me host multiple sites on a vps which a shared hosting couldn't or have limitations.

I have a look on vps offers on this forum https://www.webmastersun.com/forums/131-VPS-Hosting-Offers

but I need advice from you before choosing a vps provider.

thanks in advanced!

Hassan

If you are good with system administration you can have unmanaged vps but if you are not familiar get a managed vps focus on your projects/web and let the company manage vps for you.

Reactions: roggy

roggy

roggy
I can manage an unmanaged vps and as I knew, an unmanaged vps can save RAM better than a managed vps because managed VPS installs addons or softs that I don't want or don't use for my site. it's waste of resources if I go with managed vps, it is exact?

NickTheMusketeer

What Hassan said is very accurate. Keep in mind if you choose to go with a managed VPS then you will have to pay something extra. That extra price you pay is covering the hours of the operator who is assigned to manage your VPS and most of times you are charge a pre-paid hourly rate fee.

Hassan

roggy there is nothing like that managed vps only have things installed on it what you asked from host. you will be in big trouble if your vps eat all the resources and you are not professional.

boognish

If you want to experiment with an unmanaged VPS find a low cost mininimal resource one. Check WHT or sites like lowendbox(.)com for $4 - 7 per month unmanaged basic VPS plans. Try and learn how to manage one and if you find it's something you're up for doing, cancel your low cost test VPS and go for it with a real deal VPS for your sites.

Last edited:

King-Servers

Unmanaged VPS is an option for users who have experience in system administration. With unmanaged vps, you will have to monitor your server and resource usage, customize server and install software by yourself.

ElixantTechnology

ElixantTechnology
I agree with the majority of this thread. There is a lot of work that is required to maintain and monitor your own system(s). Without the proper knowledge and experience, no matter how powerful the VPS it still might be slower than even the worst Shared Hosting provider if not configured correctly.

Reactions: boognish

boognish

boognish
This is a great point. There's no set it and forget it. I was suggesting that if the OP wanted to try and learn, not to invest to much, and to also not put any important sites on his test/learning VPS.

I would say that most people just pay the extra fee to have a managed VPS.

Euservr

It is very easy to manage a site via command line. There are lot of videos on youtube that will help you to know how to manage a site. If you are choosing a unmanaged vps, choose cPanel control panel. With cpanel yu can easily manage your site. Also hosting provider help you if there is any issue.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
wms
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.