Is it "Web" or "web"?

aemathenge

I was going through some customer feedback and encountered at interesting argument the gist of which is as follows:

It should be “Web” but not “web”. This is because “Web” is a representation of a “formal” entity which is “World Wide Web”. Support for this is derived from The New York Times as well as The New Yorker who write it as “Web site” and not “website”.

Another reader rebutted this by writing that she was based in the United Kingdom and tended to use The Guardian’s recommended style which wrote “web” and “website”. This she supported with the argument that a number of American publications prefer “website” although this is not across the board.

In your interactions online, which version do you use or prefer?

Is it “Web”, “Website”, “Web site”, “website”, or “web site”?

elcidofaguy

For me its all semantics and its the same... I would say all are correct... Neither of them would raise my eyebrow as to being grammatically incorrect...

Web is the same as internet, online etc and website, web site, site are all valid as far as I am concerned... As long as it makes sense the use of spaces, initcap is neither here or there for me... the exception would be the use of plural which does not apply to web, internet etc as there is only one of that....

If I'm writing a sentence then I would probably use lowercase for web, website web site (unless it starts the sentence) and for Internet I would use init cap... Here is an interesting article which I [URLnf="http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/644/should-the-words-internet-and-web-be-capitalized"]found [/URLnf]relating to your question....

aemathenge

Wow !!

I did not know it was such a big deal until I browsed your link.

I am a writer and my work is judged by the number of errors I make in an article. The fewer the errors, the more I make per article.

My intention in raising this issue was my hope that I could find a way to reduce the Web and web distinction. Now it looks like it is a matter of personal interpretation and not a general ideal.

Thank you for the link though. It makes very interesting reading.

aemathenge

The last response has made my afternoon.

"Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality answers, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site."

Imagine my work being supervised or paid for by such a person!!

Last edited:

Cookie

Interesting. Well, I use "web" and "website". I don't really see it as a huge deal, it's simply a matter of personal preference.

boognish

I don't capitalize web but I do know that Internet should be capitalized.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.