Wow money making prank site sold for 100K!

elcidofaguy

Dear All,

I heard about this a few weeks ago when this prank [URLnf="http://shipyourenemiesglitter.com/"]website [/URLnf]was place on auction on Flippa and just found now with catching up on that it sold for 100K!!! Wow last time I checked it was getting close to 50K before the bid ended....

Here is their simple sales pitch headline lol:

glitterstartup_main_.jpg

Its a great idea to ship your enemies glitter in the post, together with a letter... I really couldn't stop LMAO at what a simple and novel idea to make money online... No doubt now lots of copy cats now on the scene....

Whats amazing is that the 22 yr old founder sold it after 10 days in business ... as per [URLnf="http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/01/28/14/47/ship-enemies-glitter-site-was-a-money-making-prank"]this [/URLnf]news item... Amazing isn't?

I really thinks its a cool story, .... genius even! .... it really shows that thinking out of the box can indeed work to such dramatic scale - even today!... the inspiration and the first steps for your ideas begins with you... reinforces my conviction that good ideas will always be around especially wrt IM...

I'm real keen to hear your opinions... and further hope it makes you take bold steps to make it online.... now that aside - what was that crazy idea I had the other day???

Cheers,

Sid

Inquestor

Been following this since January 16th

Clever idea, but there are a few issues it faces. One of them is the plain concept of sending glitter in the mail, this might spawn legal action over time, but least not for now.

As for the Australian dude, good for him but he screwed this up in so many ways it's not even funny. This could have been a 250K or more sale if he did the following.

1) Just when this website started gaining attention, I would have dropped 4K into securing all variations of the domain therefore the mass competition there is now couldn't stand a chance getting in on this. Each website would be a clone, funneling to a global order processing system. etc...

2) He should have not stopped taking orders when he hit 2K orders in one day ($20,000). Regardless if the orders were pending for a few weeks, add a disclaimer to the site saying orders might take up to 3 weeks or so to be fulfilled.

3) When he was selling the website on Flippa, it literally took him 36 hours or more at a stretch to approve bids. I swear this guy was out on a 7 day bender after gaining so much attention and sales. (Who wouldn't be happy, though).

4) The overall way he executed this from start to finish was a flop in my opinion. There could have made so much more money had, but this is what we can learn from this.

Overall, if any of us hits it big with a simple idea and site, lets learn from the mistakes made here so hopefully we will not make the same errors as he did.

edsonbuchanan

Wow just goes to show brain storming and thinking of wacky ideas can pay off. I'm sure if I would be a little irritated if I received a envelope full of glitter. I can see this turning into a breaking news CNN story..White House Receives glitter...

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views