Got Spam Backlinks Automatically

Jolly1

I noticed some spam links towards a competitor's website. When I tried to create same links for a website it did not take me more than 5 minutes to create 8 of such links.

I created only these 8 spam links while continued my regular hard work SEO effort for site promotion.

But after few days when I rechecked my website back links, I was shocked to see 100s of spam backlinks to my site….

Does it really happen that you create some/few spam links and these get multiplied to create a network of spam links around the website…

I am really worried, coz this could mean my website would be penalized for spamming black hat SEO techniques…

elcidofaguy

Hiya Jolly1,

First of all dont panic! ;-) You can indeed solve this... Here is my best advice:

1) Do not rush to use G's disavow tool... Its a strange thing that this exists - but once you begin disavowing links your site will be on the radar and future link building will be much more sensitive to G's algo... The disavow tool is almost admitting to the fact that you have been gaming the serps - hence its sensitivity to future actions... ONLY USE THIS AS A LAST RESORT!!! and as last resorts that will be strong evidence of when your rankings fall dramatically.... and permanently....

2) Check if the links are DOFOLLOW or NOFOLLOW... If they are NOFOLLOW then ignore it... In fact the disavow tool basically turns dofollow links to nofollow links... So for sure DO NOT disavow NOFOLLOW links! Just ignore it and consider yourself lucky.... and move on...

3) First see if you can remove the original submission... I don't know what you used... but see if you can log into that piece of cr** and see if you can remove it... If that dont work ask the website admin to remove it - but I'm guessing chances are that's not going to happen...

4) Next step is if the links go to sub pages (not home page) - then I would think of moving the pages/posts to a new URL within same domain, use canonization tag on original to transfer link juice... and 301 it out outside of your domain or 404 it.... Only do this if its a relatively new page/post...

5) Use your htaccess file to block incoming traffic from the domains which are providing these dodgy backlinks... This one is probably your best bet... Chances are spammy sites as such as these will not provide any traffic... so when G's crawlers come along they will see the spam site and follow the link - and if that link leads to a page block on your site then I think you have a chance of not getting penalized as I am sure G's algo is smart to realize.... Use the following in your htaccess:

Code:
# BEGIN REMOVE BAD LINKING SITES
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} ^http://.*baddomain\.com [NC,OR]
# END BAD LINKING SITES
Note: noting baddomain and .com (or other related TLD's) is specific to the ones you want to block...

6) Wait a few weeks.... and hopefully you are okay.. I dont know when the next penguin refresh is - but I would wait it out.... If you get hit after a penguin refresh then disavow, but hopefully the above will mitigate/prevent that happening... My tests to date with step 4/5 has worked - but its experimental stuff on my part as I indeed mess around with tools such as GSA and smash the sh** out of G on some side projects and see if I get hit with a penalty and then see if I can fix it before future algo refreshes ;-)

Saying that G's crawlers always follow through on links and when its blocked by htaccess I am sure it will solve the problem without resorting to the disavow tool...

Worst case like I mentioned - keep a log of all of the urls and then proceed to disavow... but only do that if you can see an obvious decline in rankings! As mentioned only use the disavow tool as a last resort and if you do - then slow or stop your link building as the algo for sure becomes much, much more sensitive and you'll feel the pain even more further down the road....

I hope that helps! Best of Luck,

Sid

Reactions: Jolly1 and David C.

marciayudkin

marciayudkin
I need you explain obviously this process in easy way.

as I understood then

Bad backlinks putting at Baddomain.com and you use this code
Code:
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} ^http://.*baddomain\.com [NC,OR]
when google bot follow bad backlink then code in htacess file will redirect to a page block on our website, right?

What is {HTTP_REFERER} in line above?

Is this a guide from google?

elcidofaguy

elcidofaguy
Hi Marciayudkin,

The code provided simply looks at the referring website {HTTP_REFERER} and blocks it... In otherwords if somebody clicked on the bad backlink they will be redirected to the website but the htaccess code will block it.... Does that make sense? HTTP_REFERER is a server variable which stores the incoming URL where the traffic originated from..... So when G crawls the bad backlink resources it will follow the backlink and see that it is blocked and hopefully it will discount the link algorithmically....

No this is not a guide from G... This is from my own testing... and it is experimental... I will be blunt... I personally do not trust G - and I hate the disavow tool... You are basically admitting to gaming the serps when you use it.... The entire concept of disavowing is bizarre to say the least ...

If you do not want to do what I recommend then go ahead and use the disavow tool... I mentioned that this may work and is worth a try - as post disavow - G will become much more sensitive to link building.... That is if you continue to engage in link building after disavowing, G will be unforgiving and will hit you hard....It is as if the algo threshold has been reduced and as such your website is on the radar for unnatural linkbuilding.... G is real good at detecting that.... Again this is my opinion....

In the end its up to you how you want to proceed in such situations.... My view is try to fix it first and as a last resort disavow...

Regards,

Sid

leesaaugustin

leesaaugustin
Any evidence that using disavow will put you in radar? OR Your guess. :2guns:

elcidofaguy

elcidofaguy
It's a good question!!! As G will never admit to it... and therefore you can best assume that its speculation/hypothesis based on other peoples assessments/experiences post disavow...

There are a lot of comments of people claiming that there sites lost significant rankings after disavowing... and also not being able to recover... You would expect some form of recovery if the links are being removed due to a penalty... Now that's either down to disavowing good backlinks - or G's algo being more sensitive... Perhaps even a combination...

Indeed you should assume that its a guess on my part as I cannot offer any scientific evidence to back this up as it is based on assessing other peoples experiences and reading up on SEO articles which discuss this... In part its also based on a partial distrust of G and the potential for such a tool to be used/exploited for many other things...

That said - with negative SEO being a reality, disavowing in such cases is the only option... So for sure I'm not against it... I just hope that G will at some point put a stop to negative SEO and with that an end for the need to disavow!

ridgley

On the other hand, though some website that claimed their sites lost significant ranking. They can still recover by cleaning their sites.

elcidofaguy

elcidofaguy
Indeed that is definitely the case... Just have a read of penguin recovery cases and what was done incl. disavowing... I would say post disavow its hugely important to clean up your own site, improve on-page seo and keep up with adding new/fresh content... in otherwords do all of the things to improve rankings and getting traffic to your site... and above all lessons learned if you where responsible for the penalty with dodgy backlinking etc...

leesaaugustin

It's a good question!!! As G will never admit to it... and therefore you can best assume that its speculation/hypothesis based on other peoples assessments/experiences post disavow...
It looks unethical way, if true, which i don't think is needed the case

There are a lot of comments of people claiming that there sites lost significant rankings after disavowing... and also not being able to recover... You would expect some form of recovery if the links are being removed due to a penalty... Now that's either down to disavowing good backlinks - or G's algo being more sensitive... Perhaps even a combination...

Indeed you should assume that its a guess on my part as I cannot offer any scientific evidence to back this up as it is based on assessing other peoples experiences and reading up on SEO articles which discuss this... In part its also based on a partial distrust of G and the potential for such a tool to be used/exploited for many other things...
see, your explanation might be true, but you might not be knowing exact reason for fall of ranking, just bey using disavow.

That said - with negative SEO being a reality, disavowing in such cases is the only option... So for sure I'm not against it... I just hope that G will at some point put a stop to negative SEO and with that an end for the need to disavow!
Might be negative SEO runs, no doubt, but do you think, positive SEO can not achieve what negative SEO achieves? Although it may look hypocritical, but then how wikipedia is ranking on a very competitive terms? OR Google is partial to them? :eek:hmy:

elcidofaguy

It looks unethical way, if true, which i don't think is needed the case
- What??? Its G's right - not to reveal how it operates and how it's algorithms work... Its a highly guarded secret - even more than coca cola's recipe... For me its nothing to with ethics... Its business interests....

see, your explanation might be true, but you might not be knowing exact reason for fall of ranking, just bey using disavow.
But who can??? Pretty much nobody on this planet could make a substantiated claim other than the folks working in G's secret lab.... Correlation does not imply causation!!! Besides there are always many factors and every case is different... You are stating the very obvious...

Might be negative SEO runs, no doubt, but do you think, positive SEO can not achieve what negative SEO achieves? Although it may look hypocritical, but then how wikipedia is ranking on a very competitive terms? OR Google is partial to them? :eek:hmy:
???? What are you talking about??? You think that negative seo can achieve what positive seo does or vice versa??? There is a clear difference between the two.... Negative seo is the malicious attempt by a third party to ruin someone else's rankings... What has that got to do with Wikipedia???

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads