What is uptime and downtime?

dackers911

Could you explain me what is uptime and downtime of a web hosting?
I have seen these terms more times when I have visited some web hosting companies.

nkthen

When the hosting company has uptime, it means that the hosting is online. (ie. you can access the website)
When the hosting company has downtime, it means that the hosting is offline. (ie. you CANNOT access the website)

There is NO company that can boast 100% uptime, AFAIK. and most hosting companies can claim 99% uptime.

ElixantTechnology

Uptime and Downtime are terms referring to the time that the providers servers are online of offline.

There is NO company that can boast 100% uptime, AFAIK.
True and false. Though there is no sure-fire 100% way to make sure a server is online 100% of the time, a good provider will do their damndest to make sure they are near 100%. For example, I claim 100% uptime, though I leave room in the service level agreement that allows for 10 minutes every 3-6 months for kernel updates (reboot).

MightWeb

There is absolutely no way any provider can leave a solid guarantee for 100% uptime. Some will however have it as their goal and even in their SLA, meaning you get compensated for downtime.
Most providers will however have a very solid uptime, and it's rare that you run into prolonged issues with a reputable provider.

Hostname.club

SLA always come with 100% Network Uptime, but no 100% for Server Uptime cause it can be broken or some hardware/software upgrade. That's first thing you should remember at all!

hostbrink

Uptime means percentage of total time site was live ..... and downtime means percentage of total time site was offline .....

BitCutter

Uptime refers to the Time ur website was up on internet and opposite with downtime.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.