Duplicate content question...

Nytshade

Hey guys,

In the past few years I've had a couple of high authority websites (mostly magazines) copy my content, as is, and post it on their websites. The websites are bringing in good traffic to my blog and they have couple of resource links within the article.

Yesterday, a big Chinese online music store shared my content, including my video, on their authority website (the post is also featured on the homepage) but translated it to Chinese. When I saw this on my stats I visited the website, at first when I saw that it's just copy & paste I was really furious and felt like killing someone. Until I saw that this is a really high authority website and the post had a lot of positive comments and 2 links pointing back to my site.

This is not the first time this has happened so my questions are:

1. Will this have any negative effect on my rankings?
2. Do you think it's a good idea to ask them to remove the content? These are high authority sites with tons of high quality backlinks.
3. And Is Google going to penalize me for duplicate content?
4. Let's say Amazon copies my content (exactly) with a link back to that blog post. Now due to the fact that amazon is a high authority site, who's going to rank high for that piece of content or keyword? Me or amazon?

Maxwell

As my real experience then I would answer and suggest you as following

Hey guys,

It will not affect to your rankings because when they translated to their language, they corrected/edited words according their ways.

Hey guys,
2. Do you think it's a good idea to ask them to remove the content? These are high authority sites with tons of high quality backlinks.
You can do that or not, it depends on you.
But, as you said, they gave you 2 backlinks to your site, so you don't need to ask them for removing the content.

Hey guys,
I think it's NO. Your site and that site are in different languages. You can research some big sites on the world they are using the same content but translated into different languages without any problems

Hey guys,
4. Let's say Amazon copies my content (exactly) with a link back to that blog post. Now due to the fact that amazon is a high authority site, who's going to rank high for that piece of content or keyword? Me or amazon?
If they are pointing back to your site, you are getting SEO benefits from that.

Hope that helps :)

ericplotz1

Hey guys,

In the past few years I've had a couple of high authority websites (mostly magazines) copy my content, as is, and post it on their websites. The websites are bringing in good traffic to my blog and they have couple of resource links within the article.

Yesterday, a big Chinese online music store shared my content, including my video, on their authority website (the post is also featured on the homepage) but translated it to Chinese. When I saw this on my stats I visited the website, at first when I saw that it's just copy & paste I was really furious and felt like killing someone. Until I saw that this is a really high authority website and the post had a lot of positive comments and 2 links pointing back to my site.

My ninja! What's good witcha!

There's a funny thread I read not too long ago in another with someone that had similar problems. You can send a fake letter from the DMCA to the site owner. Make it look legitimate though. I could probably find the letter on the forum if I search.

Or....

YOu can just go to the DMCA
Code:
www.dmca.com/Takedowns.aspx
It's kinda expensive but it'll do the trick.

I'm guessing from the way you worded your post it wasn't translated at all but straight up copy and pasted. If that's the case I would think it IS very much a problem, as it is the WWW. I can't be sure and haven't heard other wise but I definitely would not just chill and let the wind blow past.

Cheers

SEOPub

It's not duplicate content. Duplicate content is when the same content is repeated over and over again on your own site.

If Google punished sites for having the same content as other sites, newspaper sites would be totally shit out of luck. Sites with song lyrics would be totally screwed.

You got a few links from decent sites organically, and you want to have them removed? :bash:

ericplotz1

According to Matt Cutt's and many others it doesn't technically hurt the page, but Google just ignores the less authoritative page and gives the page with authority placement in Google.

Take that as you want to take it, but being that your content is on an authoritative site, Google might just ignore the content on your site that is duplicated.

Ignore.

If Google "ignoring" my page is a possibility I wouldn't risk it.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.