is Alexa ranking real?

Maxwell

Hi,
I noticed one of blogs ranking keep dropping from 120k now to 300k while its traffic is increasing according to google analytics.
is Alexa ranking real or it's only for advertising purpose?

elcidofaguy

Alexa ranking has no influence on ranking on the SERPs... In otherwords it is not a ranking factor... It is a commercially owned outfit and is actually owned by Amazon and as such have their own profit making agenda.. Some people seem to think their are some form of independent organisation like the UN, but that is not the case lol... They may have some useful metrics but its all estimates and for me I dont take any of it seriously...

Its worth noting that Alexa in recent months has increased its number of websites and hence the massive change in rankings... So its nothing to worry about, especially given your traffic numbers are increasing....

RDO Servers

It is real, just not real useful.

Analytics records the traffic to your site via the tracking code you install on your site.

Alexa relys on the site visitor having the Alexa toolbar installed in their browser. There for Alexa does not record all traffic your site gets.

ultimateseo

I think alexa ranking can be easily altered through purchasing massive traffic. Don't ever trust it when buying a website, don't judge it by that straight away. Anyway, maybe its just fluctuating, is your site new?

ultimateseo

Many shady websites allow the purchase of millions of visitors for cheap, these visitors are useless.
Fiverr has many people selling those services, google purchase visitors. I think they get this traffic from ptc sites which gets a huge amount of visitors to your website.

james01

Analytics simply track the number of visitors come to your website.
On the other side Alexa of your website depends upon the number of visitors plus the quality links which show on alexa, when you check website on alexa website.

markdenz

i find it useless because their traffic stats are very off if you dont have their code in your site for certified metrics and the sites linking in not so accurate,

I will use it thou when i sell direct ads one day because many advertisers are interested in their certified metrics than estimated ones

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views