Does anyone know why some google ads dont have the small icon

markdenz

Does anyone know why some google ads dont have the small icon in the corners or ad-choices label

astral walker

Does anyone know why some google ads dont have the small icon in the corners or ad-choices label
You mean this icon google_ads_icon.jpg ?

Because if your ads was bid on the top then it will have an small icon.

If you ad is listed on right column with other ads, it will not.

elcidofaguy

Wow! I had a look at the source code and managed to figure out how they did it... They are using embedded iframes with a specific height, width which crops the Google Ads icon....

In other words the Google ad is on another html page which is embedded on the display page which crops the ad icon out so that it is not displayed... I hope that makes sense... Its not obvious to see but when you follow the external javascript and css file you can then see how they put that together with printing out the div holder..

I'm pretty sure that it is against Google Adsense TOS lol... That said I can see why they would do it ;-)... It actually has got me thinking, whether I should try something like that myself !!!

Curious to know if anyone can confirm if this is against Google Adsense TOS?

elcidofaguy

I've had a look online to see if hiding the "google title/icon" is against the Adsense TOS. It seems that it is - certainly according to [URLnf="https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/adsense/el_IGq1h2TQ"]this [/URLnf](google product support forum).

Which really got me thinking is the website intentionally violating TOS???... As I really think a newspaper would not do that lol... So there has to be more to it...

Taking a closer look I noted that the website is using Google Tag Manager. You can read about it about it [URLnf="http://www.google.com/tagmanager/"]here[/URLnf] and for further background check this [URLnf="https://support.google.com/dfp_sb/answer/2524536?hl=en"]out[/URLnf]. I noted that the website refers to a javascript file:googletagservices.com/tag/js/gpt.js - the end result is exactly what I mentioned above -- the ad is placed into an iframe which is embedded on the display page btw - I used firebug to follow through the code generated on the browser, so it was clear as daylight lol versus just looking at the source code for the page...

Putting the pieces together.. Its very obvious there is a legitimate loop hole here...!!! If you use Google Tag Services to serve and track ads - then it looks like the ad title and icon is removed and further its done by Google with their script file creating the embedded iframe... So its their fault and you have not broken any TOS and its above board and legitimate.... !!!

I think its much better to hide the ad title and icon in this way... It looks much cleaner as if it is part of the website and I am sure the conversion rate on clicks will also be much higher... This is very cool...

I hope to get round to implementing this sometime in the near future, If so - I'll be glad to write up a tutorial for others to be able to do this too ;-)

markdenz

please do write a tutorial soon because i want to do it too and i am not sure what is google tag, hahaha these newspapers have about 20 sister websites doing the same thing i think they want to look professional because they sell ads space which is never bought because its expensive and everyday i see the google ads url

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
PRO

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.