Is it possible to learn coding in 2 months?

rwsorensen

WMS Marketplace Seller
I'm wondering are there any ways to learn coding in 2 months? I'm mentioning for newbies who have basic knowledge about HTML but want to learn coding (PHP, Javascript and CSS) for 2 months and build a complete website with these languages.
It is possible? what is your personal advice?

All inputs are appreciated.

Josh

There are many free online courses introducing programming skills that might do the job. Of course it would depend on the level of studying in those 2 months. Have you seen the Future Learn website (offering free online courses on a variety of specific subjects)?
Code Academy is another one. [Sorry, i'm not allowed to post links yet].
I would think, unless you are following some sort of course, and depending on the individual, you might need a little longer than two months to get to grips with those three languages. That's just my two cents :D

elcidofaguy

Indeed its possible... Certainly the basics to mid level... In fact learning to programme is easier than most think... Much easier than learning a spoken language...

The fundamentals are always the same e.g. declaring variables, arrays, if then else, loops, functions, reading/writing to/from database and moving from procedural concepts to object orientated etc... I learned PHP within a week - but thats probably due to the fact I've programmed in many other languages so I know the principles and can quickly look online to find what I need... and its those principles which are real easy to learn...

My best advice is to get on with it and do it practically... Learning from a book or watching videos will not take you far... Its the physical act of actually writing the programs when you learn the most... To begin with it will be hard but if you persevere every day then in a matter of weeks you can make massive leaps forward!

That said its also never ending when it comes learning... I am always discovering new concepts/methods as well as the fact that new programming technologies are changing rapidly so one needs to keep an interest on latest technologies...

RDO Servers

It depends on your level of dedication and amount of free time.

You can learn a new coding language in 2 months and be ready to write your own program/site. However this does not mean you know everything you will ever need to know. Languages change, new versions come out, new libraries are added. It is a never ending process.

Hit it hard for 2 months so that you have a good jump on it, but know that it does not end there!

natemaingard

Something else to consider that no one has mentioned yet is that it also depends on your ability to learn and what rate you learn at. Some people can in fact learn coding and even programming in short amounts of time, whereas others may take a month or more simply because that is where they are at learning wise.

Cookie

Yeah, it's definitely possible to learn coding in 2 months (or even less). I'm learning JS and PHP right now and they're both quite easy IMO.

ElixantTechnology

From a programmer's prospective it really depends on the determination that you set forth in learning the language. Programming isn't something for everyone however, you need to have a lot of patience and excellent problem-solving skills. You can learn the basics of a programming language in a couple of months, for sure, however to gain true experience, to be able to develop a production-worthy and secure piece of software, I would recommend at least 8-10 months of practice and learning.

MrGravyCakes

Learning coding is about how much time you put in. If you put in an hour a day you will lear, but not as much as if you put in 2 hours a day. Of course, you can go overboard. Don't stare at your screen all day because it's liek anything, you will get annoyed, bored, frustrated etc.
It is important to take breaks as well, regularly, eat and drink properly and have a drink of water next to you all the time.

sharplesson

If you are familiar about C or java, then you can learn PHP quite easily. As far as JavaScript is concern, you need to learn it to make your website or page more interactive. Like taking user inputs and all.

sallysaleh

It is possible to start learning and applying programming from day one. but to master a programming, it depends on your effort. two months is ok to learn good things about programming. but you have to keep on. do not stop.

Last edited:

PluginForage

You should be able to get some small projects put together in a couple months, but the more complex stuff is a continual learning process.

Joe B. Ray

I'm wondering are there any ways to learn coding in 2 months? I'm mentioning for newbies who have basic knowledge about HTML but want to learn coding (PHP, Javascript and CSS) for 2 months and build a complete website with these languages.
It is possible? what is your personal advice?

All inputs are appreciated.
The answer is Yes and No. That's because the question is not specific enough to give you a definite answer.

When you say, you want to build a complete website, that could mean many different things. You can probably learn to build a simple HTML5 website with a little bit of Javascript and a few line of PHP for your form processing. HTML and CSS is very easy. You can learn it in a couple of weeks. HTML is not programming language. Programming languages are not so easy.

In one of the replies someone said he learned PHP in a week. That reminded me of one of the Chuck Norris jokes... "Chuck Norris counted to infinity...twice!"

You asked in your post: "I'm wondering are there any ways to learn coding in 2 months?" Coding could mean a lot of different things. You can copy and paste some PHP code and understand some of it. You can learn that in a short time. (I hope you understand that if you're playing around with PHP there are some very serious security issues involved)

Those of you who replied that programming is not so difficult to learn, perhaps you don't know enough to know how much you don't know. I have developed a sense of humility about programming over the years. For example, if you want to write a Machine Learning algorithm from scratch, not using anyone else's algorithms or any ML libraries, you really need to have a PhD. in CS & you will need to know Linear Algebra, Multivariate Calculus, Discrete Mathematics, Approximation Algorithms and Statistics. This takes a little bit more than two months.

That said, you should be able to learn enough to build a simple website in a couple of months. Yet, if you want to learn a programming language like Python so you can start developing software, you will need to learn a couple of hours a day, every day for a couple of years.

I highly recommend that you learn programming. You have nothing to lose by trying.

DarnelWhite

Simple answer: Yes!

Anything is possible but you have to be ready to push yourself

All the best

Traffic Ablaze

Joe B Ray

Best answer in the thread bro. You certainly can pick up the basics and start working on a site but you won't have truly learned any language in that time. I only really learned programming when I had several projects under my belt. Theory and syntax is one thing but being able to have an idea and flesh it out into something real is where the real learning STARTS not ends

acquisto

Programming? That's different. That's not coding, that's problem solving. Here's an objective, except that the specifications are a bit vague, a bit self-contradictory and a bit impossible. (That's how most program specifications look at first. They're like a horse designed by a committee - a 2-headed, 3 legged zebra.) Programming starts with cutting out the fluff, adding some meat and defining what the job actually is. That's about half to 3/4 of the job, depending on just how bad the person specifying the program is. (And it doesn't depend on that person's knowledge of programming - one of the most productive programs I ever wrote - it cut processing from a 3 year manual backup to a 1 month automated backup - was written by the president of the company - who could probably write a trivial Excel VBA function at best, but defined EXACTLY what was needed for the program.)

Mike001

Of course it is possible, it will all depend on how much time and effort you are willing to put into it.

The beauty is once you learn one programming language you have a great head start on your next language. There are so many similarities with the programming languages that learning one will leap frog you into others. And the more you learn the you will want to learn. With all the changes in the new scripting languages both HTML5 and CSS the new possibilities are almost endless.

I have a couple hundred hours of FREE videos posted on many of the web development programming languages on my website. I will also help you if you need assistance as time permits.

Web Development, in my opinion, is one of the coolest ways to reach out to other people and it is a great community of people. In the over 15 years that I have been developing sites and teaching the technologies I have never failed to learn something new everyday and have always been impressed with how easily the community shares information. It is a great community to be a part of.

Mike

Last edited:

WebmasterPhil

You probably could learn the basics of a scripting language in 2 months of dedicated study. Programming language like Java would take at least 6 months (or the equivalent of a college course) to learn the fundamentals. Everyone of course is different, and if you're good with logical skills and mathematics, you'll pickup programming much easier.

In 2 months of study, don't expect to build a full-fledged application like Microsoft Excel. Only prodigies can do that. I suggest starting in increments first like using JavaScipt to perform a calculation on a webpage, then migrate over to PHP to do more server side stuff.

Mike_Brown

You could learn the basics in 2 hours. I believe it is much easier to get an understanding of coding as whole by starting off small. Don't think about the big complicated things. Don't jump in the deep end before you can swim. Start small, edit some text lines, change some 1s to 0s. Experiment. If you start small and gradually build towards bigger things, in 2 months you should certainly have a decent understanding of programming. Another bit of advice, when looking at the source code for something, do not look at it all at once. That is scary and off-putting when you first start. Look at little bits individually and try figure out what they do. Start small, dream big!

tbobker

Don't bother with tutorials, if you want to build a site, focus on that and you will learn much quicker.

plan your site and list all the functionality you want then take it a step at a time. Before you know it you have built your website and learnt how to code all those features.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.