How to choose a good directory for submitting?

Danlucy

Are there any effective ways to choose a good directory for submitting my site on for increase traffic and ranking?

while PR is out of date then which things do I need to consider to choose quality directories?

elcidofaguy

Personally I'm not a fan of directories - but I do know some folks on this forum swear by them... There are a lot of dodgy ones which you should avoid... I dont know anyone who would use a directory to find a website other than the use of yellow pages...

I would say the best ones are which have some form of moderation and further may involve payment... What confuses me is that paid directories are in principle the same thing as paying for a link which is against G's TOC's..

So the question which is worth asking: “Are paid directories held to the same standards as paid links?”... I just found this video where Matt Cutts answers that... Interesting...

I would say from that you should look for a directory where editorial discretion/moderation is in use... and avoid the fly-by-night directories where any one can post a link... What's very telling is that directories do get a lot of scrutiny and no doubt are manually reviewed....

RDO Servers

I believe DMOZ & Best of the Web are considered the best.

If its easy and free to list your site, then everyone else will use that same directory and it will be full of spam. Search Engines will recognise this and will no longer give credit (or at least not as much credit) for link in that directory.

RayKeller

RayKeller
I don't believe DMOZ is one of best web directory becoz I checked some sites listed in Dmoz but having low rankings on search engines and traffic.

RDO Servers

RDO Servers
A Listing in the DMOZ directory does have SEO benefits as it is a very trusted backlink source.

However, just because your site is listed in DMOZ, does not mean you will get high rankings and a ton of traffic. That is simply one of a large number of metrics that is considered by search engines.

I can build a website. Stick it online and forget about it. Have my buddy who is a DMOZ moderator add it to the directory, then do nothing else. My site will be listed in DMOZ, but still have poor rankings.

Saying DMOZ is not a good directory because there are low ranked sites in the directory is like saying Honda's have low quality breaks because I got rear-ended by one once.

SEOPub

They need to be moderated. That is the biggest thing. Generally, paid too. If they advertise anything about PR, links, improving rankings, or any other SEO buzzwords then stay away from them.

For most of my projects I have a list of directories that I start with for each site. It runs about $1,000 for all of the links, but well worth it.

RDO Servers

Thanks SEOPub,

Would you would mind sharing your list of prefered directories, or do you like to keep that jewel in your pocket?

SEOPub

I've shared most of them in my SEO course.

I'm not comfortable putting them all out in a public forum. Part of the reason they are so useful is because spammers and low quality crap has stayed away.

Not trying to be a jerk. It's just the way things are unfortunately. Once people start posting useful link sources, they often cease to become useful link sources.

jameswilliam723

Doing directories by building back links or drive more traffics aren't much effective in these days trends. So I'd like to suggest you to do some other effective things rather than focusing on Directory submission. Its a out of date trend in SEO.
In 2015 Social signals and quality contents sharing what matters.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.