Your Marketing Will Fail Without Tracking

hoangvu

You were to take a more traditional approach such as television advertising. You might
be prepared to spend upwards of a quarter-million dollars just for production, to
be followed by potentially millions of dollars of national media buys.

With so much at stake, it seems unlikely that you would simply write a check and forget
about it. Not by a long shot. I bet you’d be watching the sales figures like a hawk to see if
your campaign was bringing customers in. And if it didnt perform, you’d cut your losses
quickly (and probably fire your marketing manager).

Most of our businesses will never grow to the scale where we can afford big-ticket tele-
vision buys. Fortunately, internet advertising now gives us a way to purchase smaller, more
reasonably priced blocks of traffic.

The downside of this is that these less expensive campaigns tend to fall off the radar of
most managers and entrepreneurs. There is a false sense of security that comes from spend-
ing “only” $500 a month or so on search.We tell ourselves, “Maybe it will come in, maybe
it wont,” or “Let’s just start it and see what happens.”

This is nothing more than a shortcut to failure, and I dont want you to fall into that trap. So
please take this firm, but friendly, piece of advice:

If you dont track your campaign, you will lose.

If you blow off the numbers behind your business, your marketing will be mediocre because
it will be built on opinion and guesswork.
Guesses and opinions are the enemies of good marketing. If you let the numbers tell you the
truth, you’ll make your website better.You’ll make your advertising better.Your sales will end up
5x, 10x, even 100x over where you started.
Marketing Sherpa1 reports that 90% of search marketers use some form of analytics.While I
personally believe that this figure is highly inflated (the majority of advertisers I talk to have no
website tracking in place or never look at their reports), the fact remains that any serious com-
petitors will be relying on their website tracking to improve their returns. You need to do the
same if you want to level the playing field.

You must have tracking installed on your website. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
The next few chapters will show you exactly how to set up a basic tracking system and how
to make the best use of it.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies