Do You Feel That Pinging or Indexing Each Blog Post is Important

Content by Rhonda

There are places like Pingler and PingFarm where you can ping and even index your blog post if you choose. I've heard people say you should do this with every new blog post. Do you feel this helps to get your post indexed in the search engines any faster?

I'm certainly not an expert in this area and would love to hear from someone who understands how and if this works. Thanks

Reactions: wms

ericplotz1

There are places like Pingler and PingFarm where you can ping and even index your blog post if you choose. I've heard people say you should do this with every new blog post. Do you feel this helps to get your post indexed in the search engines any faster?

I'm certainly not an expert in this area and would love to hear from someone who understands how and if this works. Thanks
Yes absolutely, but if you have wordpress it doesn't matter because it automatically pings Google and Bing when you make an update to the site. i.e. New blogpost or simply altering one word in a post will ping the SEs.

Nytshade

The last time I pinged a website was in 2011. I don't see any reason for pinging a website if I've already sent my sitemap to search engines. I rely on social media, once my new post starts getting social shares it will get indexed fast because my social accounts are highly active.

This stuff is useless, unless if you see that search engines are taking to long to index your site then you can try pinging your site.

elcidofaguy

Hiya Rhonda,

In my opinion pinging websites is useless and in fact can be damaging to your site due to:

1) The amount of spam comments which follow. Its almost 100% guaranteed you will get a wave of spam comments after spam... Plugins like Akismet, Spam destroyer may stop them displaying but you still have to delete them within WP admin. I've had sites which have got tens of thousands of them in a matter of weeks.

2) Worse - you run the risk of having your content stolen! Especially if a site which has more authority metrics steals it, then chances are it will get credit for the content before G's crawlers will have visited your site.

3) You also increase the chances of your website being hit by hacking attempts - access via wp_logon via xmlrpc.php. One of my sites a hacker script has been running continuously for over a year attempting to gain access. Its slowly eating away on server resources with rotating IP proxies (I can still see it in my server logs). I've stopped any chances of it getting access via removal of xmlrpc.php using .htaccess file, but rotating IP proxies still means they visit my site. In addition your website could be exploited as part of DDOS attacks. For example:

Source: [URLnf=http://www.incapsula.com/blog/wordpress-security-alert-pingback-ddos.html]http://www.incapsula.com/blog/wordpress-security-alert-pingback-ddos.html[/URLnf]

For info on pinging and spam:
[URLnf=https://wordpress.org/support/topic/recent-flood-of-spam-via-pingtrackback]https://wordpress.org/support/topic/recent-flood-of-spam-via-pingtrackback[/URLnf]
[URLnf=http://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/what-why-and-how-tos-of-trackbacks-and-pingbacks-in-wordpress/]http://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/what-why-and-how-tos-of-trackbacks-and-pingbacks-in-wordpress/[/URLnf]

For info on how to remove access to xmlrpc.php via .htaccess:
[URLnf=https://wordpress.org/support/topic/resolving-xmlrpcphp-ddos-attack-with-htaccess-redirect]https://wordpress.org/support/topic/resolving-xmlrpcphp-ddos-attack-with-htaccess-redirect[/URLnf]
[URLnf=http://perishablepress.com/wordpress-xmlrpc-pingback-vulnerability/]http://perishablepress.com/wordpress-xmlrpc-pingback-vulnerability/[/URLnf]

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Sid

Nytshade

Hey Elcidofaguy, Thnx for the info but I still see no reason for using ping if I have the power of social shares, especially Google+.

Forget about Akismet, Spam destroyer and other crappy comment spam plugins. The best comment spam plugin is Anti-spam by Webvitaly.

This plugin stop comments and they don't even show in the comments section for you to delete them, it's that powerful. The guy doesn't want to reveal what the plugin does so that spammers can't find a way around it which is working great :)

Try it.

Reactions: elcidofaguy

elcidofaguy

elcidofaguy
We are in complete agreement buddy! If it wasn't clear on my previous post - then let me make it clear now lol... I absolutely do not use ping/trackbacks and do not recommend them for the reasons outlined... I very much hope that the risks of stolen content, spam commenting and DDOS attacks is enough for folks to seriously consider not using them.... ;-)

Re: Anti-spam by Webvitaly - looks like it could be the bees knees! Will give that a try thanks!

wms

Administrator
Staff member

Nice question!

It helps...but no more..

You can use fetch tool in google webmaster tool or resubmit your website sitemap that include latest blog links or some other similar tools integrated in wordpress.

The last time I pinged a website was in 2011. I don't see any reason for pinging a website if I've already sent my sitemap to search engines. I rely on social media, once my new post starts getting social shares it will get indexed fast because my social accounts are highly active.

This stuff is useless, unless if you see that search engines are taking to long to index your site then you can try pinging your site.
Agree with Nytshade!

I even have not used any ping tools till now to make posts indexed by google faster.

"Fast or Slow" depends on level of popularity from your website. I'm mentioning to SEO factors. :)

i.e for our forum, a long post can be crawled and indexed on google for 1 to 3 minutes. (of course, it needs to be unique and fresh content..) seem google bot is always stay on our forum to get newest content from posts while others can take longer to be indexed.

Marx Melencio

Do I Feel That Pinging or Indexing Each Blog Post is Important?

Rhonda,

My answer is no. Here's what we instead do to have pages of our clients' sites indexed by Google in a few minutes to 24 hours:

1. Create and submit a sitemap via Sitemap Submission in Google Webmaster Tools...

2. Generate Crawl Errors report in Google Webmaster Tools...

3. Use Fetch As Google function in Google Webmaster Tools...

4. Update sitemap and re-submit in Google Webmaster Tools each time new content is added...

5. Repeat steps 2 to 4...

That's it for now. Cheers! :)

kevinarndale

Pinging and indexing are an absolute essentiality. When you update content in your website or add a blog, you need to ping the link to various sites including Google, Bing, Yahoo etc. It is better to cache the content as soon as possible in Google Webmaster. A better ping site in my opinion is pingmyurl where the link is submitted to more than a thousand sites.

Reactions: Content by Rhonda

elcidofaguy

elcidofaguy
Disagree strongly with this...!!! I hope you have read my posts above (as well as others).... Pinging is not an essential and further the dangers of it leading to spam comments, stolen content and worse exploited for DDOS attacks should make you think again...

There are much better ways to get your content indexed - in the worst case I would actually do nothing as G does a very good job of visiting and crawling sites without being encouraged.... You can of course simply request G to crawl your site within WMT....

antoseeg

I don't feel that this is important at all if you are already getting traffic to a blog, and are frequently updating your blog. If you are already doing these two things, search engines will constantly go through your blog to find out when you have new content posted. Once you reach a certain point, search engines will start indexing your blog pages hours after you post new content.

iTeachBlogging

Do you guys feel the same way for pages instead of posts?

I have not pinged in a long time either but I did just add a few tutorial pages on my blog. I am curious to see how they will do compared to a post.

Here is a little tip just go to Google add url and enter your blog posts URL into the field and fill out the captcha it will say success I always do it twice just to be on the safe side:)

In an hour or two your blog post will magically be indexed and be on Google a lot quicker than just waiting for Google to come crawl your site.

Pinging is good but if you use Wordpress that is done automatically my tip is much quicker:)

webpundits

Hi,

Submitting sitemap to the search engines would definitely help.

Regards

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views