Do you borrow ideas from other websites?

Sase3119

I guess it depends what you call borrowing ideas. Every website we visit, on some level, we are evaluating in our heads. Usually it's subconscious. When it comes time to build something of our own, we have a list in mind of what we've seen that worked or didn't work. We might not directly be thinking "I liked this on this website, I'm going to use it on mine, too" but it's there to some extent. That's how we learn, though!
Of course, sometimes it's a bit more direct. I've looked at a site and gone "oh, I like this, I'm gonna try that!" so it works both ways :)

Slight side note, when I was in middle school our web design teacher said it was impossible to make a good looking website that had black or grey as a main colour. I spent my entire time in that class making grayscale websites to prove her wrong ;)

HazelDJ

Have you ever tried to copy some ideas in web design from other websites you found and liked its layouts or colors?

I have but not much, just some part as button, header, footer or some interesting parts from popular websites.

What about you? have you ever done the same? What have you copied or borrowed?
I think the right term for me is I copied, not borrowed ideas from others' website. I did it but I did not copy exactly the same. Maybe, I just got some ideas. This situation is inevitable. Frankly, it is one way of making my website better from the others. I am thankful for this opportunity. I think, others do the same too.

seo_king

It depends on what you mean by "borrow". If you refer to copying an idea, I do not do that. But, I do like to observe what others are doing. My creative juices work best when I see how others tackle the same problem. If I needed to implement a concept, I would first plan the necessary steps. Once that is done, I would try an implementation. Then afterwards, I would check the internet to see how others accomplish the same task. I would try to compare my steps with their implementation. I would see in what ways their implementation tackles my own and then would start improving my work immediately!

christopherevan

I don't get it when you use the term "borrow". But for me atleast, we can see different ideas from different websites, we are free to use it as a sort of reference since it is an idea, but we shouldn't literally copy it, instead lets adopt, improve, revise this ideas and turn them as our own. It is really not a bad thing to try to find some ideas to make it as a motivation or reference.

expertintegrations

I'd have to agree with w/ christopherevan you can get "ideas" from other websites, to get your web design off the ground. A lot of designers will ask you of a few sites that you like to get a general idea of what you are looking for. But the term "Borrow" is a bit of using the language of using there site which isn't what you want to do.

DarkBlack

I reckon it’s impossible to create anything modern, fresh and user-friendly without spying on other websites. So, I observe, point out things I like and modify them for my website.

LenKaiser

I've looked at competitors websites for inspiration or ideas about what content is now relevant. But copy it, no. Now for a client I've had them ask me to create the same layout as another site, or color scheme, but there again I would rather have my own work showing through. For clients I have made similar designs/colors and layouts.

lucyrindara

Yes I often get some ideas from other website but it doesn't necessarily means that I make my website like their, I just innovate ideas from their design and being more creative on what I can post to have a better and friendly website for my viewers.

jakeis

Sometimes I like getting ideas from other websites, but I never directly copy. I just take the idea and change/improve it the way i like it and the way it is suitable for my needs.

SenseiSteve

Copying is never the right way to design. Tailoring your sites from what you've seen elsewhere - nothing wrong with that.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
UVM
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.