Where to learn web design?

harrygreen90

Hello webmasters,

My question is simple, where can I learn web design that helps me to design a complete website, including both static and dynamic websites? should we learn from any online courses? bolgs or forums?

Thanks in advance!

ericplotz1

Just use YouTube. Everything you need is there for free.

Honestly Wordpress has been my best friend. I used to hate the clunkiness of WP, but now that I've figured out what themes to use and how to optimize, I love it! My sites load quicker than 1 second and they look good. Universal Records uses WordPress. SO before you knock WP, understand some major players use it for their sites.

selenexo

Do you want to learn Design or how to code?

I guess learning designing is easy. You just gotta be creative.

Check out Behance, Dribbble and Awards Sites for inspiration. Try to build your own designs in
Photoshop or Sketch and grow with that. Post them here or on reddit (there are reddit boards for it) to get critics and learn from that.

When it comes to coding Id say go for CodeSchool. Its a good Website with nice free online courses you can use to learn.
We had our apprentice learn basic coding with it and it worked pretty well.

Equady

A great place to start would be [URLnf="https://hackdesign.org/lessons"]here[/URLnf]

Update: Actually, go offline.

Find some decent center/institution and start courses, why?

Your chance to learn will be greater. You'll get to meet face-to-face with others who are students like you.

Unfortunately, despite millions of sources online, you'll still lack the self-discipline that offline learning will provide and foster in you.

Last edited:

rfharris

Checkout w3schools.com, it is one of the best places for anyone looking to learn web designing and starting from scratch.

rmmfree

In the Mozilla site there is a good tutorial (search in Google Mozilla learn HTML). Also in CodeAcademy there are many good courses.
And, the best way to learn is to practice a lot, create simple experiments and progress with more complex works.

Mike001

Mike001
RMMFree, has a good point when he says practice a lot, that is oh so true. And Code Academy does actually have some pretty good courses. Finding the right one can be a challenge depending upon what your level is.

Lynda has some good instructors, I know many of them, but many of the courses that they offer are outdated and they can be pricey. They also offer little to no technical support when it come to the course curriculum.

Stay away from YouTube unless you know who is posting them, there are some good ones there but a lot of them are full of mistakes and many of them are out dated.

Do not download all the stuff you can find and just click on everything, that will do nothing but overwhelm you and you will lose direction on what you are trying to accomplish.

Decide what aspect of web development or design you want to learn then map out a plan as to what it takes to learn that particular area. There are many different ways to identify what you may need both on line and at local colleges and Universities. If you are truly lost as to where to start, look at a college syllabus. Pick a degree study and look at the course requirements for that degree. Not only will it give you an idea of the courses to take, but it will also give you a good order to learn them in.

Most colleges and Universities will let you download a syllabus for free. That is a good starting point.

If you are still lost, send me a PM and I can help you get started or at least point you in the right directions.

Mike001

YouTube does have some decent videos on web development but a lot of the information is outdated and does not follow "Best Practices". So depending on how you want to learn should drive whether you depend on YouTube entirely. There is some good stuff there just be careful, with every good video there are probably 3 or 4 videos with a lot of misinformation.

If you have any questions just let me know.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.