What would be a good age for a kid to have a smartphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pootchieputs

I think the right age to give your child/children a smartphone is when they turn 15 years old and up. As long as they need the use of smartphone and they can already understand the advantages and disadvantages of using it. At that age they can already think for themselves and they can already think of the consequences if they ever failed to follow the things you say to them in using a smartphone. If you have taught them to discipline themselves from using it especially if they have things to do for school and as long as you teach them that there are restrictions when using their smartphone then it is alright to let them have their own smartphone. Always guide them and always remind them the bad side of using a smartphone.

Bigblue0212

A parents' reason in giving their kid a smartphone would be for instant communication with them. They want to know where they are and what they are doing. You give your kid a smartphone when they can be responsible enough on how to use it and be responsible enough on how to take care of it. You give a kid a smartphone when they're mature enough on how to handle it. I can't give you a specific age because the maturity of every kid differs on his/her environment.

ryanquin

For me it should be on their adolescent period that they should be given such things. Because that is also the stage where they have a lot of things to do most especially school matters. Earlier than that, kids are supposed to stay outside and play, not just as a form of exercise but as a form of socializing as well. In this modern age, time passes by so fast so kids must be able to play and meet real friends and interact with real people on the real outside world instead of having them trapped in the digital world at an early age.

Ryan324

Mobile phones for kids act as security as well unsafe. Today we getting lot of such incidents where we see both positive and negative points of kids using smartphone. It's completely on us as we have to see like they are mature enough to use that or not. Might be between 12-15 would be a good age ..!!

melvster

I have a 9 yr old kid and I gave her a smart phone to use for emergency, I gave her that phone since she was 7. She doesn't have any apps their and it is not connected with internet or data. I just put some apps for learning and also added music and videos that she can use to watch with while waiting for us and she will not get bore. once a child gets bored they tend to go anywhere even you told them don't go. because they are already afraid that they were left in a situation that they can't do something about.

shanejhane

As a mother, I think 13 years old up, but we must need to observe them first.
For me, while they are still studying we need to control them on how much time they will spend using their phone, since most of the kids now using it for research, assignment, social media etc.
I think we need to discipline our children when it comes to gadgets and we all know that using smartphones most the time can cause a low grades, can damage their eyes, can they will not sleep early etc.

genesis

I'd prefer to give them first older phones that cannot access internet. You see the main reason for these kids to have phones is only for communication, they're not yet on their right age to access the internet. Yup, phones nowadays have the control thing to have a safe search, problem in which not all sites can be controlled. Same time, they can easily access or bypass phone's safe search if they get to used the phone's internal system. Better be sure rather than sorry in the end. Maybe around 12 for me, they can have phone with internet access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.