At what age did you start using social media

HazelDJ

I was already in my 30's when social media got started. I began with Friendster but later on switched into Facebook. However, ten years ago, social media was not a stuff for me because we did not have a good internet connection in that time. Today, there are many internet providers in our country which they expanded their services in some other areas and provide good services. That is why I can now open and read my Facebook a couple of times a day.

ninosan

I started using social media when I was 15, the name of the site is Friendster but suddenly that site begun to fade and Facebook rises. I remember that time you can put background music in your profile. I wish I can still search the names of my friends in Friendster before.

shanejhane

I think I use social media when I was 16 or 17 that was 2004, Friendster of course. I really like the concept of leaving testimonials, editing and designing profile etc. and its reallg cool for me. The funny thing that Friendster help me is to know the personality information of my crush hehehe 😊 by reading his testimonials. Also, I force my friends and classmates to write good testimonials about me.
After that, Friendster is gone, 2009 I've known it because my good friend invited me to create Facebook account, and until now my Facebook account is still active.

jaymish

I'm an oldie here I'm afraid! I started using social media in my twenties.Lol. Let me defend myself here! In my time no one understood the importance. Facebook came out and became popular when I had just finished college. By the time, I caught on everyone was already using it and Twitter had joined the party.

I don't think in terms of social media usage,that age is important. I see 90 year olds using social media today.I think it's how tuned in you are to popular culture, that determines when you start using social media.

revjna12

The first ever social media that I used was the "Friendster" and I believe I was 15 years old back then. The good thing about Friendster is that you can customize your background (I remember having a Violet flower as a background that time) and you can have a background music! Your friends who's visiting your profile can hear the song you chose. ( and I loved it a lot) :)

yanlang

In my case, I started using a social media called the ''Friendster'' when I was about fourteen years old. That was my high school years, though. I find it so interesting before because I could post a lot of pictures in there. Sad to say, it suddenly changes its settings, features and everything. I got so disappointed. Then, when I was about eighteen years old I tried using Facebook. That was for the first time in between about 2010 or 1011, I guessed. So, until now I am still using Facebook and enjoying its awesome features!

victoroj

I started when I was around 12 or 13 years old. Back when Friendster is still popular in my country and Facebook is still nonexistent. I remember I also use Multiply before. Both Friendster and Multiply do not exist anymore. And before there is Skype, there was Yahoo Messenger and Mlrc :icon_rock:

michelle camo

I started using my first social media at the age of 27, and that was friendster first, there is facebook yet at that time. I was really enjoying that because I could connect with my old friends. At the age of facebook came I didn't switch to it at first becasue I,' still happy with friendster but then friendster just stopped and my husband encourage me to use facebook instead and so I did and I'm still using my account until this time and I could say that I am really enjoying it so much.

anaaibachan

I began to use social media in my 20s, mainly with Friendster. Within the Philippines, Friendster, and Multiply were the most popular social media platform. Later on, my sister introduced me to Facebook.Why? She found my highschool friend Facebook profile. Her name is Lea. It's been a while since i last saw Lea because I am residing here in Manila while Lea who lives in San Francisco now. Happy to hear such news, I created my Facebook account right away.

I think the games are the reasons why people switched from Friendster to Facebook. Personally I like the Cityville, Farmville, Sims Social, and Sorority Life. Many users fancy the variety of games available.Such marketing strategy led to the decline of Friendster. I feel sad for Friendster though since I started out with them. I hope they can make a comeback, just like Nokia.

Lyrrac

I start to use computer when I was in 6th grade simultaneously created my Facebook account, that was my first ever Facebook account I remember the struggle of creating on it because you'll need to have Yahoo mail first before you can create Facebook and I was, What the hell is Yahoo mail, then my mom told me where to go in to create yahoo account.

Mr. Awesome

So many of us started making use of social media as kids and some as adults,

We don't really know the social media you started with and the time you started making use of them and also the age you were,

Can you share with us those informations, like your first social media, the age you started making use of it, and also if you still make use of them now or you have forgotten the password,

As for me I started with Facebook and I was 13 when I started making use of it, but didn't enjoy it then because did not have enough friends then, also I have forgotten my password..

what about you ...

Let's create the fun here
I started using social media sites during my high school years, 13 years of age. The first one I got is Yahoo Messenger, where different people have access to different chat rooms and choose whoever they like to chat. It is available in webcam as well. The second one is Friendster, a site that lets you post anything you like as well as search and view other person's account. The third social media site I have and stil using it is Facebook. It is a combination of the two that I used before, an innovated one. I get many friends in this site. It is really helpful because I can see and call my friends and relatives with just one click away. Kudos to this social media sites for letting us express our feelings and made or communication easier.

joey_2tep

I started using social media when I was about 20 years of age. I don't know if the youngsters here become aware of it but before facebook there was this famous social media we called "Friendster". Oh man, I had bunches and bunches of photos in friendster. I also had couples of friends and those were my real friends like I got 30 of them, lol! The website is kinda cool. It was used for dating hobbies. Anyone could share videos, and comments with other members via profiles. It is considered one of the original and even the "grandfather" of social networks. And then after a couple of years it was shut down. I think that was around 2008 and the worst thing is nobody was able to retrieve their photos and videos in just a snap. They claimed they sent notifications to all members but access during that time was so tough. Not all people have smartphone. In around 2015 the website and its online services completely shut down and nothing was heard from them since then.

pau18

I remember friendster and then it was 2010 that I started using Facebook because it was the only time that we had our computer desktop, from then on I learned how to use other social media apps and it's good to know that thru facebook we got to see and comunicate with our old friends especially our classmates way back from elementary, high school and college days. Now I use Instagrams, Google+, and you tube.

yajtagaamo

I started using the social media at the age of 18 and It was Friendster during that time. I can still remember that my friends and I used Friendster on playing games like Pet Society and Restaurant City. I also loved to edit my Friendster profile and put different kinds of design on it.

MissGlenSaturday

When I was 19 years old I started using social media. I enjoy chatting with my friends and posting pictures so that they can see these even they were far from me.

kailey

I've started using social media at age of 20, so I can say that I was mature enough to use social media sites. But I wasn't an obsess user before compare today. Before I can take not to open my accounts for 2-3 months, but now, I can't even resist myself from using even for just an hour on daytime. Even at night I often go to sleep late cause I cant keep my hands off my phone tapping.

myla123

I remembered that I started using social media through friendster. It was very popular and common social media those times before since I was sixteen years old. Well, it is fun to be used as well .I could remember that its almost the same with facebook but fb is of course more upgraded. Before facebook was introduced, friendster was originally the social networking service website. But now I believe its no longer exist as an sns service used by an individual.

ecole11j

That's a bit of a difficult question to answer. I don't think "social media" as a term really entered the public lexicon until I was in college. A lot of it depends on what you would consider to be social media. The first social media-ish website I really used would have been LiveJournal, and I would have been in middle school around the time I started. I think I was in my Junior or Senior year of high school when Myspace was hot. I signed up for Facebook sometime in college (back when you had to have a college e-mail address to sign up), but I only signed up as part of a promotional contest and didn't really start using it until a couple of years later.

VladOne

I started using social media since i was 12. Back then, Friendster was famous here in the Philippines. I used to go to internet cafe a lot that time. It was fun, i really enjoy those days.

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.