Seeking e-commerce platform recommendations

Gooberdunkin

Hello,

I’ve been searching for a new e-commerce platform for the company I work for, and I’m looking for suggestions.

We sell stretch-wrap machines, mostly through distributors. Our e-commerce site is for customers who want to purchase parts. Our current site is quite outdated. We are in need of an upgrade.

I’ve been considering platforms like Shopify and Squarespace, etc. I’d appreciate any suggestions based on our needs.

Here’s what we’re looking for:
• Ease of use: Site setup, use, and maintenance would be beginner friendly.
• Easily upload and update our online products via a CSV/Excel file.
• Automation: We’d like to find a platform which we could connect to our local SQL server such that orders placed online will be automatically processed into our local database, eliminating the need for someone to manually take online orders and process them into our own database.

I know that our requirements are somewhat general. There are probably factors I have not considered yet, so if you have questions from me that could help you suggest certain platforms, let me know!
Thank you!

CryptoGrab

WMS Marketplace Seller
a very important point is the budget, percentage, monetary component, it is also important to understand the planned volumes, for a small enterprise this is one thing and for a middle or large one it is different

Nemanja

Premium Member
Based on your specific requirements, Shopify seems to be a strong candidate for your e-commerce platform. Shopify is known for its user-friendly interface, making it easy to set up and manage your online store, even for beginners. It offers various apps and integrations, including the ability to upload and update products using CSV files. Additionally, Shopify provides an extensive range of plugins, which might include SQL server connections to automate the order processing into your local database. Its robust ecosystem and wide range of features make it a reliable choice for upgrading your current e-commerce site and streamlining your online sales process.

While Squarespace is also a popular platform, it may not be as well-suited for complex e-commerce requirements like automatic SQL server integration. Shopify, with its extensive app marketplace and flexibility, aligns better with your specific needs for ease of use, product management, and potential automation. However, it's always a good idea to thoroughly explore both platforms and potentially trial their features to see which one best fits your unique requirements and long-term business goals.

hipcat

You might want to consider leaving the functionality of your website as it is and simply spruce up the storefront, if it looks outdated. Just be careful not to mess up your SEO, if it's already in a good place. Changing too much at once can really break a site, and all the effort leading up to that.

You could also just hire a freelancer to custom create a site for you. It may seem more expensive initially, but once you factor in the monthly Shopify fees, which you pay FOREVER while you have the site, it may not seem too bad.

I would go with the custom angle and just use your own merchant account with a payment processor and avoid Shopify, Wix, etc, as they are all garbage in one way or the other.

However, if you plan to stay small and just need an easy solution, then Shopify will work, but just keep in mind that you are at their mercy and they can, and likely will, leave you high and dry at any time in the future, which you have no control over.

Good luck!

Gooberdunkin

Gooberdunkin
Hello,

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks for the input!

Regarding payment processors, in what way are Shopify and Wix garbage? Thanks

hipcat

hipcat
You have no control over your site, as it's actually their website and you are just pointing your domain to it. That means ANY change to their terms can potentially affect you and wipe out your entire ecommerce business.

Even just relatively small technical glitches that mess up the funtionality of your site that never get fixed, even when you contact support. Ecommerce forums are full of compliants from business owners with sites brought down and orders lost by not fixing issues in a timely manner.

Payment terms change frequently and you are at their whim. Sure, your own processor could do the same, but the difference is when you OWN your site you can just change the processor and the site remains, but if you are using a third party platform, like Shopify, that is tied to the processor, then if the processor suddenly refuses to process payments for a TOS change your whole website becomes useless because of the platform it's on.

I've seen people lose EVERYTHING when this happens.

mlmecommerce

According to me, Shopify is a strong choice. It offers beginner-friendly site setup, seamless product uploads via CSV/Excel, and extensive automation capabilities. You can use apps or custom solutions to integrate your local SQL server, ensuring automatic order processing. Shopify's versatility suits your e-commerce upgrade requirements well.

dmd3

This is a great question, especially for beginners who can feel like they're wading through a tech swamp. There are so many options out there, it's easy to get bogged down!

While some folks swear by building everything in-house, for many startups, a reliable e-commerce platform can be a lifesaver. It lets you focus on your niche, your products, and your customers, instead of getting tangled in the code weeds.

greenhostcloud

Hello,

I’ve been searching for a new e-commerce platform for the company I work for, and I’m looking for suggestions.

We sell stretch-wrap machines, mostly through distributors. Our e-commerce site is for customers who want to purchase parts. Our current site is quite outdated. We are in need of an upgrade.

I’ve been considering platforms like Shopify and Squarespace, etc. I’d appreciate any suggestions based on our needs.

Here’s what we’re looking for:
• Ease of use: Site setup, use, and maintenance would be beginner friendly.
• Easily upload and update our online products via a CSV/Excel file.
• Automation: We’d like to find a platform which we could connect to our local SQL server such that orders placed online will be automatically processed into our local database, eliminating the need for someone to manually take online orders and process them into our own database.

I know that our requirements are somewhat general. There are probably factors I have not considered yet, so if you have questions from me that could help you suggest certain platforms, let me know!
Thank you!
I recommend looking into platforms like BigCommerce or WooCommerce. Both offer user-friendly interfaces, easy product uploads via CSV, and integrations with SQL servers for automated order processing.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.