Effect of Removing '/product/', '/product-category/', or '/shop/' from WooCommerce URLs?

Nemanja

Premium Member
Hi everyone,
I'm currently using WooCommerce, and my product URLs contain '/custom-name/' (in this url, example.com/custom-name/product-category/) before the product category. I've come across plugins that can remove this, but I'm uncertain about the SEO implications and how it might affect WooCommerce's functionality. Can anyone share their experiences and insights on whether it's advisable to remove '/custom-name/' from these URLs?

Any potential pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

Finacustech

Removing '/product/', '/product-category/', or '/shop/' from WooCommerce URLs can have both positive and negative effects on your website. On the positive side, it can make your URLs cleaner and more user-friendly, potentially improving the overall user experience and making it easier for visitors to navigate your online store. Shorter, more concise URLs can also be easier to remember and share. However, on the negative side, removing these prefixes might affect your website's SEO, as these keywords provide context to search engines about the type of content on the page. It's crucial to implement proper 301 redirects to maintain SEO authority and ensure that existing links and bookmarks still work after the change. Additionally, be mindful of potential conflicts if you have other content on your site that uses similar slugs, as this could lead to confusion and URL clashes. Overall, the decision should be made carefully, considering both user experience and SEO implications.

hipcat

I'd personally go with the longer urls because I think the SEO benefits outweigh everything else and you can always use internal shorteners, if needed.

I also don't trust plugins and would rather control it myself. I try to keep plugin use to an absolute bare minimum.

Reactions: Nemanja

Nemanja

Premium Member
Nemanja
Thank you for your input. I appreciate your perspective on maintaining longer URLs for SEO benefits and your caution regarding plugin usage. It's definitely essential to have control over the website's structure.

christax

Removing '/custom-name/' from your WooCommerce product URLs can enhance the user experience by creating shorter and cleaner URLs, potentially improving navigation and overall satisfaction. However, it's important to note that this change may have SEO implications, potentially affecting your search engine rankings. To mitigate any negative impacts, thorough planning is essential, including the implementation of proper 301 redirects to preserve SEO equity. Conversely, retaining '/custom-name/' in your URLs provides a level of SEO stability but may result in longer and potentially less user-friendly addresses. Your decision should align with your specific goals and circumstances while adhering to SEO best practices to minimize potential disruptions and maintain a positive user experience.

I can give an example to illustrate the benefits and drawbacks of removing '/custom-name/' from WooCommerce product URLs:

Scenario 1: Removing '/custom-name/'

Original URL:
example.com/custom-name/product-category/product-name Modified URL: example.com/product-category/product-name

Benefits:
  1. Cleaner URLs: Shorter, cleaner URLs are often preferred by users and look more visually appealing.
  2. Simplified Navigation: Users can quickly understand the product's location within your store.
  3. Potentially Better User Experience: Easier-to-read URLs can improve user experience and click-through rates.
Drawbacks:
  1. SEO Impact: Changing URLs can affect SEO rankings. Proper 301 redirects are essential to preserve SEO equity.
  2. Potential Confusion: If you've used the original URLs in marketing materials or backlinks, users might encounter broken links.
Scenario 2: Keeping '/custom-name/'

Original URL:
example.com/custom-name/product-category/product-name

Benefits:
  1. SEO Stability: Keeping the original URLs can maintain SEO rankings and minimize disruptions.
  2. Consistency: If you've promoted these URLs, they remain consistent with your marketing materials.
Drawbacks:
  1. Longer URLs: Longer URLs might be less user-friendly and visually appealing.
  2. Complexity: For users, the '/custom-name/' portion might seem unnecessary and confusing.

Removing '/custom-name/' from WooCommerce URLs can create cleaner, user-friendly links but may impact SEO rankings, requiring redirects. Keeping it offers SEO stability but results in longer URLs. Decide based on your goals, considering SEO best practices.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.