Things You Need to Consider Before Moving to a Dedicated Server?

rwsorensen

WMS Marketplace Seller
Hello,

I need your advice on things I need to consider before moving to a dedicated server?

Thanks in advanced.
Sorensen

Hassan

There are some important things you need to consider:

1. Operating system
There are several OS used in hosting business but two most common are Windows and Linux.

2. Hardware
Hardware is the heart of the server if you have good hardware you get good performance.

3. Bandwidth
Dedicated servers use for heavily loaded websites so that there will be no data transfer issue.

4. Support
The quality of support matters if the provider have technical staff who have answers for your hardware and software issues.

5. Upgrade Options
You need to check with provider if they can upgrade your package in future for your upcoming needs.

6. Pricing
You need to check market where you can find best price for your needs.

ElixantTechnology

ElixantTechnology
7. Network Backbone
Select a provider that utilizes premium-grade network services such as Level3, nLayer and other. Don't select a provider that strictly utilizes uplink providers such as Cogent and Hurricane Electric (Though if included in peering alongside with Premium Uplinks, this is no issue).

8. DDoS Protection
Select a provider that uses network-level DDoS Mitigation. Even if you purchase DDoS Protection strictly for your server, in the event that someone within the network were to see a large enough attack, the entire network could go black. However, a provider that offers DDoS Protection right out of the gates, may be able to prevent this from happening.

9. Service Level Agreement
A lot of providers out there will have one of these, be sure to read it over and make sure that in the event of an outage that you will be compensated. Look for a provider that offers a 100% uptime guarantee. Remember, a 99.9% uptime guarantee allows for 7 hours of downtime per month, which is not acceptable when speaking of mission-critical services.

10. Cheaper is not Better
Keep your eyes out for those cheap, outdated hardware, poorly cared for Dedicated Servers. If you're being given the opportunity to utilize a $55 Dedicated Server, and you wish to host mission-critical services on the system, think again. However, if you are not planning on hosting a mission-critical service and don't mind a little downtime and lack of support, feel free.

gigapros

does this dedicated server have any control panel? like cpanel or plesk??
migration strategy will dramatically change (in a good way) if you have a control panel installed.

rwsorensen

WMS Marketplace Seller
does this dedicated server have any control panel? like cpanel or plesk??.
I used cpanel from shared to vps and I'm sure will not change it on dedicated server if I have a chance to use it.

migration strategy will dramatically change (in a good way) if you have a control panel installed
Can you show more details why control panel is an advantage when migrating my web hosting to dedicated server?

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.