Do you think tablets would make dissapear real books?

HazelDJ

Even how fast the technology changes today, I should say that books should not disappear because of tablets.

However, based on my observation, there are many people prefer to use tablet because they find it easier to search for a certain topic. For them, it is like a library. In case, there is a publication of the latest edition, people can easily upgrade their e-books with a couple of minutes in a low price than purchasing another volume of books. The issue here is the comfort of the people using tablets.

Nancy G

Hey guys!

So it's not a secret these days we use less and less real books and prefer the tech to store our information.
It saves you space and you avoid cleaning that dusty library in your place.

So I was wondering: Do you think tablets are eventually going to substitude books forever? Do you think they are going to get extinct at some point?

Please comment!
Tablets will just offer an alternative choice but will not phase out real books. Some published reports showed the positive resurgence of printed format in 2017 as against e-books in U.K. and in the U.S. Surprisingly, survey shows milleneals still prefer reading books, or textbooks as a respite from staying in the internet. Children's books, hobby books like cooking, arts and crafts, fiction, coloring books for young and adult are still selling big in printed copies. There will always be collectors of books especially the rare and hard to find ones. Nothing beats the personal feeling of reading a book, spreading your imagination in your favorite sitting position and environment.

anaaibachan

Books are here to stay even with the popularity of electronic devices such as smartphones, and tablets. It's all a matter of preference, and need. Here in the Philippines, high school students enrolled in private schools are using e-books inside classrooms. They are provided with a tablet that contains the PDF files of the textbooks or workbooks to be used for lessons. The students have less worries because it's convenient to carry with just your hand. Carrying a load of books inside your back pack can be quite cumbersome. It's like you're carrying a heavy yoke over your shoulders.

However, in public schools here in the Philippines, it's an entirely different story. It's a stark contrast to the experiences of private school students. Most students enrolled in public schools are poor. The government still provides them with paperback books approximately the size of A4 paper. I notice the grade school children passing by my street, walking home from school, as they bear the load of the bags inside their books with their frail frames.

Personally, I use both mediums be it in PDF form, or the paperback, and hardbound form. I am using them as references when I teach my class in an Alternative Learning System here, or simply know as the ALS Program. It's under the Department of Education. Its intended enrollees are out-of-school youths, or those who come from indigent families who have no money to send them to school.

jhuzenA

No. Many readers still prefer physical books instead of reading e-books or other digital books. Just like me, I can't read long period of time in front of the computer or ipad because of radiation. It gives burden to my eyes. Most people use physical books especially when studying because they can highlight topics and put notes easier than using digital books. And also, they don't have to worry about the tablet that runs out of battery while reading. And besides, many readers feels more comfortable reading books and comfortable places like under the tree, on the park, garden or everywhere without having to worry about outlets if they are to use tablets.

novice143

I think not for ten to fifteen years. I tried reading ebooks but still the feel of reading it is still different than a published book. But somehow when it comes to market and practicality, ebooks tops the books with a large margin. E-books are paperless and can easily marketed in the whole world through online purchases so maybe the publsihers might shift to it in the near future and since the new generation are becoming more fond of the digital world, in the future they might be not interested anymore in actual books. Books are also heavy and space consuming :)

michelle camo

I don't think so, Yes nowadays a lot of people are using gadgets to do everything even reading, but there are still a lot of people who prefers to read a real book rather than reading it with there tablets or ipads. I know it is more convenient to bring a gadgets rather than a book because the book is so bulky and and some are so big but there are a lot of book collectors out there who really to keep there collections of old books.

nolimanalo20

Yes now a days tablets are a great deal when it comes to reading books and other stuff but I think it can't replace the traditional hardbound books. Yes in most schools students are encouraged to have their tablets and have books saved in them which makes it convenient for them to carry books around. But still the feel of reading from paper pages and turning these pages will remain which makes books to stay forever.

napukun

it's possible to replace the book by a technology but not just by the tablet.. i agree to replace books by the technology because by that we can help the earth, we will never gonna put down a tree for as to read a bunch of books that made by trees so it's a big help, and for us to be eco-friendly.

szerjhex18

I could not imagine world without books because it's banished replacing by a new of technology called tablet. I am not liking it because books is so very important. I would still loved to read a book than reading a ebook on tablet. why? For me books is more authentic. Yes it's true tablet now is much look better because it is a high tech of way of reading a book. But in order to used the tablet for reading , you need to charge it, you need to download it, before you used it right? and if you have no internet you cant read the book you want. But in a Realbook you just need to go to the library, you can choose so many books, old books, and new books you want. And you can also met other people doing the things you love. You learn from them, shared from them, and socialized with them. And those old books collector will not be happy if those book they love and treasured for so many years will be gone in vain.

AskMeAnytime

Absolutely not, because libraries has a lot of advantages compared to the internet. The library data cannot be deleted, unlike in tablets or computers. The datas can be deleted easily. This is the reason why many documents can be destroyed or evidence for a certain matter.

ecole11j

Honestly, no, and that's coming from someone who currently reads books more on their phone than physical books. I think there's two main reasons why:

1) Children - The experience of reading to or by a child on an ebook just isn't the same as reading a physical book. There's a certain kind of intimacy parents share with their children reading physical books to them that can't really be replicated with a tablet or a phone. Children enjoy the feel of the book, turning the pages, and being part of the experience in a way an ebook really can't replicate.

2) Ownership - You can't really "own" an ebook the same way you own a physical book, and I think that's one of the major disadvantages that will keep them from overtaking physical books. What do I mean by that? If I buy a physical book and decide I don't want it anymore, there are many options available to me. I can sell it, donate, give it away, let someone borrow it, etc. With an ebook, your only real option is to delete it. If I check a physical book out of the library and I'm not done with it by the due date, I have a choice to keep it a little longer, even knowing I'll be fined, to finish it. With most ebook loaning platforms, once the due date hits the book is deleted from your device whether you were finished with it or not. Publishers can even decide to retract a book entirely and have it forcefully removed from your device, even if you paid for it. If a Publisher decides to pulp a physical book that you previously purchased, they can't exactly walk into your house and forcefully remove it from your home.

mdsarang

Hey guys!

So it's not a secret these days we use less and less real books and prefer the tech to store our information.

So I was wondering: Do you think tablets are eventually going to substitude books forever? Do you think they are going to get extinct at some point?

Please comment!
I don't think tablets will replace books forever and I don't think they're going to get extinct. Yes, tablets are convenient but at the end of the day a lot of people will still choose to go back to basic on books. Personally, I love books and their smell. I love reading them than on tablets.

abby_suxx

i don't think gadgets will ever replace traditional books. as for me, an avid reader not just of physical books, but of e-books as well, both have pros and cons. For e-books, it's portable and easy to access, however, given that it solely depends on batteries, and other 'technological' factors, it can be easily destroyed. Also, sometimes it gets too straining when you read from a screen. The traditional book, it's bulky and limited only to one general topic. If you have to have tons of references, you have to acquire a lot of them and that's very tiring. But the thing about physical books is that they give the reader a sense of touch. I mean, the feel of your fingers running through the pages is a very good feeling. And skimming through books is relatively easier than in the tablet. And there's a study that reading from a book makes people retain information effectively. So I think, gadgets can never replace traditional books.

joynelowwtwo

I totally disagree with that. because there are many type of people the POOR , MIDDLE CLASS and RICH. Book is the most commonly used aids and learning materials in school. and Tablets are also called Smart Phones that you can install application that is so similar to the computers. I think that the POOR will not afford to buy tablets that will put their textbooks and guides on their learning. only the Middle Class and rich will afford that so the books is not being obsolete and not being replaced by the tablets, the factors that affects is the financial class of it.

antoniovmlf

I do not believe this is going to happen because there are still people who can not carry out book readings only on the tablet, although the tablet has a greater ease and mobility than a book, it still shows a fatigue faster than when reading a book . An example that I can cite to explain what I am talking about is that in a work carried out at the university in which I study, the professor demanded that the work be delivered in print, as he did not like to read text files on his computer or tablet .

For these reasons, I believe it has room for both media, depending only on the taste and condition of the person who will read.

Dictator20

Definitely no, because for me, reading in tablet and reading in real books has a huge difference. that's why it is impossible for me for the table to replace the REAL books. I still tend to choose reading in real books especially when I am reading long novels,etc. But still tablet has a good side when it comes to reading, especially when the book that I'am reading is too heavy or big and I want to save space. I will definitely choose bringing my tablet with me. But still, REAL books are the best for me. and I think real books is still the choice of the avid readers.

GabbyBoink29

I believe many people nowadays are more into tablets rather than reading a real book. But for me, It's the essence of the Book, on how the author put all his efforts on the story. Reading on Tablet's is also a Good thing because you can read a novel, or a story very easy and handy. But having the book itself is also a good thing because you can keep the book and read it again and again and make it also as a collection.

CookieRunner

Hey guys!

Please comment!
If we talk about Books being replaced by Ebooks FOREVER... I don't think so, books are very different from e-books. The feel, the sensation, the smell of the books are really different. It's true that Digital reading is rapidly getting a fad nowadays but it can never substitute bools even though it may sound old school.

Carlos Kerika

I personally prefer physical books than eBooks. I don't know why but I love the smell of books, especially old books. Hard copies also help us to lessen the eye strain and dryness that is commonly caused by too much time spent by our eyes focused on screens. There is also a different fulfillment whenever you see your collections of books and the satisfaction of seeing those thick books that you've finished reading. You get that 'Professor' feeling in you :smart:.

udershirt123

I think no, because It's hard to replace physical books to tablets. My reasons are: There are so many book collectors in the world they wouldn't want to replace it so easily because books are their passion and it has a lot of meaning to them. Second is that tablets can stress our eyes when you over use them. Third is that tablets are easy to be broken and it also needs electricity to charge it when it is low battery, while books don't need electricity or anything, you can read it anytime and anywhere you want. Fourth is that when after you read a book there is this feeling that you think you're already smart, it has this feeling that you can't get in a tablet. Although there are also some advantages of a tablet compared to books like it is environment friendly because it doesn't use papers and inks, it can save a lot of space in your place/room, you can store more than one story or article in a tablet and many more. Therefore, do you think tablets would make disappear real books? My answer is no.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views