Is Yahoo still a valuable search engine?

subhodipd

Ask this question a decade ago and I would have said that there exists a fierce competition between Google and Yahoo. However on the verge of 2018, Google has acquired total domination of the World Wide Web Consortium.

Having said that, when you are talking of backlinks, it does not matter whether they come from sites listed in Google or Yahoo. Yahoo is still considered as a very high authority and securing backlinks from the same will help you receive a considerable lift in your site's rankings.

Hometutor

10 years ago, there was a constant competition between Google, Yahoo and other search engines, but today Google is the most used. Bing has recently started to improve since Microsoft being involved with it directly and putting it on default on all Windows/Internet navigator, but since then I've heard nothing about Yahoo. It's still a valuable search engine? Is it worth investing in SEO on Yahoo? Thanks!
Yahoo is a great example of how to mismanage a company. In the 90's they were charging people $200.00 just to be apply to be in their manually managed directory. Now they've dropped their SE completely and use Bing search results. Verizon has recently purchased them. I'm leaving them alone.

Rick

ecole11j

Is Yahoo still valuable as a search engine? Not really, to be honest. Google is still king, and Bing at least has some headway with people who primarily use Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge and are either too lazy or don't know how to change the default search engine. Is Yahoo itself still valuable? Actually, yes. It honestly still surprises me just how many people still use Yahoo as their primarily e-mail. I'm not sure whether it's because they've just been using the same e-mail since the pre-Google days and are reluctant to change or are just somehow intimidated by Gmail, but it has honestly shocked me how many of my clients still have Yahoo e-mail addresses. As for SEO, have you considered looking into Yahoo Answers? This is still probably one of the most frequently used portions of Yahoo.com. Maybe look for questions related to the area you're marketing in, or even create some yourself, and use those to put your name out there.

archivarix

Yahoo holds now about 3% of SE global market, but it is global. If you want to promote you site in Japan you need to know - Yahoo holds 30% of market there.
It is useful to know where you want to promote the website :) For example in Czech republic seznam.cz is very popular SE - but it is absolutely unknown in other countries.

antoniovmlf

I believe that the search engine yahoo can be used as an option, however the custom makes google the most used option still people. Google offers a cleaner interface where people with weak connections can easily search.
The first search engine I use is Google, but if I do not find what I'm looking for in it, I'll search on other platforms like yahoo and bing. So these platforms are interesting, but they do not have the same fame as Google. An example of this is that to enter the yahoo search site now a little bit, I used the Google search site to search Yahoo's search site, hehe.

wapaks

Yahoo I think now it is gosh town, that's only base on my opinion. But I love Yahoo and I'm still using it right now. If I made a comparisson between the two. I will choose Google for now.

Jim15

Yahoo still a valuable thing to others because not all of us are having the same likes. Google is very popular and vey valuable to me but there are still a lot of people use Yahoo as their search engine.

BulletproofHosting

Considering that only around 3% of web searchers these days are completed through Yahoo (I mean, you see just how many people havent used it in years), it’s easy to see that focusing on it shouldnt be a top priority in your marketing strategy.

junrose123

I don't think that yahoo is valuable now a days for search engine since most people manly use it as an instant messenger to get updated to their business and other personal transactions. Yahoo is sometimes used as a news magazine for other people since it is always updated to some currents news and events all over the world.

Zenoth

Yahoo search uses now the same data as Bing.

I don't think there are different SEO strategies for different search engines.

Even though my sites don't receive a high volume of traffic from Bing or Yahoo, I still add my sites to Bing Webmaster to see the number of times my sites have appeared in searches, for what keywords, etc. I even add my sites to Yandex Webmasters (DuckDuckGo uses the same data).

Except that, I don't do anything different for optimizing my sites for different search engines.

Older threads
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies