Tips for starting a forum?

Lonika

Thought of starting a niche forum but today forums are not that popular anymore and coming up with a new forum in 2024 and getting new members is not easy. I've been looking at free software and think phpBB is a good place to start if I get a lot of members to convert to Xenforo or vBulletin but it's probably a long way from there. And in the beginning such cheap and such good hosting. Do you have any tips?

hipcat

SimpleMachines & phpBB are good free choices to get you started to see if it's something worth pursuing. Niche forums can still make vibrant communities if your discussions are based around something your members are passionate about.

It's also easier to make money with certain niches, such as specific car models because, even if the members are not that active, if you use good SEO to bring in targeted visitors those visitors will click through your ads for specific car parts, etc., because they are genuinely interested in spending money on their car hobby, which can get very expensive.

For example, I collect classic cars and found a Porsche forum that was pretty much dead at only 1 new post a week from new members, but the front page had a big ad for an online Porsche parts store, so I clicked on it to see what they had. The forum owner earns for the advertising, whether there are new posts or not. My own niche forums earn from advertising 24/7, even when there is no new content. Of course being active is preferred!

People are passionate about their cars, pets, politics, religion, etc, so do your research before jumping in the deep end.

Any basic, shared hosting will do to get you started. You can always upgrade later.

Bukowski

I can give you a free xenforo license if you give me a role

lucadylan

Starting a niche forum in 2024 may pose challenges as forums are less popular now. Considering free software like phpBB is a good starting point, with plans to switch to Xenforo or vBulletin if the community grows. Opting for affordable hosting initially is wise. Building a forum takes time, so engaging content, consistent moderation, and fostering a sense of community are crucial for attracting and retaining members.

Marc van Leeuwen

Premium Member
Starting a forum can be a rewarding endeavor, fostering a vibrant community around a shared interest. To set your forum on the path to success, it's crucial to carefully define your niche, attracting a specific audience passionate about the topic. Choose a user-friendly forum platform that aligns with your technical expertise, and don't forget to establish clear guidelines for respectful interactions among members. Initiate engaging discussions by posing thought-provoking questions and actively participate in conversations. Promote your forum through social media, relevant online communities, and search engine optimization to expand your reach. As your forum grows, moderate discussions effectively, addressing conflicts and ensuring adherence to community guidelines. Encourage user engagement by recognizing active contributors, hosting events, and implementing gamification elements. Regularly gather feedback from members to identify areas for improvement and adapt your forum to their needs. Remember, a successful forum is a dynamic space that evolves with its community.

I've been looking at free software and think phpBB is a good place to start if I get a lot of members to convert to Xenforo or vBulletin
I would recommend Xenforo, it is more modern.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views