Has Facebook surpassed YouTube in video advertising?

PenguinManiac

Facebook has been developing its video player for the past couple of years, and it has now improved drastically. It's easy to see how it could become a competitor for Youtube in the future, at least as long as short videos are concerned.
And guess what short videos are good for? Advertising. Not the old-style, cheesy kind you see in TV ads, but a fresher and modern type based on funny content, clever sketches and youth involvement. It's only natural such promotion would end up on a social network populated by youngsters.

With YouTube being more centered on video-exclusive content, supported by the channel system, could Facebook surpass it in terms of usage of videos as a means of advertising? Considering how well they blend together with other posts on Facebook, it would seem so, but I'd like to hear some other opinions on it.

JoeMilford

I haven't really thought about this until I saw your post, but I could totally see facebook surpassing youtube in this arena with their traffic and with constant improvements. To use this capability for video advertising or self-promotion is a great idea, I think. How long is the average facebook video time? I think this idea has a lot of great potential.

Wyvh

In my opinion, I highly doubt so. Considering how many YouTube videos have at least one ad on showing and the number of videos uploaded per minute.. Facebook must be behind. Maybe not that far, but still behind.

PenguinManiac

PenguinManiac
I was mostly referring to stand-alone promotional videos (like TV ads, for instance), but if we consider ads displayed before or after a video then YouTube certainly holds a remarkable advantage. However, I believe that Facebook's numbers could turn tables in the years to come, especially if they'll develop their video playback feature even further (software-wise, YouTube's is ages ahead).

Wyvh

Wyvh
Oh, deeply sorry, I misunderstood when I read it. Concerning the bold part, I can only agree. Facebook has some work to do, but they sure are on the right path.

PenguinManiac

PenguinManiac
No need to apologize! Video marketing comes in different ways, and even if the video itself is not an ad you can still display them. That's full-fledged video promotion, no way around that :)
They have vastly improved over the years (that stuff lagged like hell in the past), now it's much smoother and lightweight. It still can't handle different qualities very well, and it still isn't as optimized as YouTube, but they've got a lot of room for improvement (and lots of money to do so).

Yourpwet

The quality of videos uploaded in YouTube are of higher quality than those posted on Facebook. Why? Because YouTube pays you for the videos you upload. Facebook doesn't pay you anything. Content creators have more motivation to post on YouTube. Most quality content found on facebook are merely copied on YouTube.

When it comes to video ads, YouTube is still king. I have seen very little video ads on facebook as of late. Besides, video advertising on facebook wouldn't be viewed by many because a lot of people I know often browse using only free data.

Wyvh

They might have a considerable amount of money, apparently it's not enough, seeing that they're about to add ads in the instant messaging services. I also heard they recruited some old Youtube staff members, so that might be why they're improving. :p

Tania997

I highly doubt it. Just like you said, Youtube is years ahead of facebook and while they might improve their video advertising in the years, youtube will improve too and they'll never be able to catch up. Also, Facebook and Facebook messenger are social media and instant messaging apps, where people are not expecting to see a lot of ads. If they start to fill every empty space with one, and the videos start showing ads every single time, people will quickly get tired of it. Also, is it true they're gonna put ads on the instant messaging app too? That would make me uninstall it, honestly.

PenguinManiac

PenguinManiac
The path Facebook is walking seems to lead towards a more universal implementation of the platform for various activites, including promotion, but yeah, right now it's still mostly a social network rather than a sort of online plaza. They must be careful with ads and go with the right pace.
I haven't heard about ads in the instant messaging app, I don't use it all that much, but that sounds like a terrible idea. Why would you use Facebook instead of other ad-free messaging apps, then? Unless they're going with an approach similar to the one employed on the main website, that is.

shilpa

No, I don't think so. YouTube's been there longer than Facebook, and it will continue to stay even after Facebook. YouTube's got many more subscribers than what Facebook may have for their videos promotions. And because of this you will see more promotions of services on YouTube through their channels and subscription. Also many more users and brands continue to send videos on YouTube, so it's impossible for even Facebook to surpass that.

You might remember how brands tend to link their videos to YouTube or drive YouTube users to subscribe to their channels. And how many advertising videos we may see in popular videos (even if they're like 10 secs long). What's more to that is more and more brands are using YouTube to sell their niches. They make videos and promote them on YouTube. So it's highly unlikely that Facebook is surpassing YouTube when it comes to advertising.

olaryeankarh

Now that Facebook had started in-video ads, I can tell that this post is worth some concern. Facebook has 2billion users to either accept or reject whatever it brings to the table. If in-video ads thrive fine, then we are looking at a Facebook vs YouTube duel which is going to last a very long time.
Because.... Instagram videos are there to battle as well. And you know what? Facebook own Instagram too! That's like a two edged sword facing one Google.
Let's see how it plays out. I can't guess for now.

PenguinManiac

PenguinManiac
I almost forgot about Instagram. They have such a powerful platform at their disposal, and a pretty advanced one at that. I agree that it's worth keeping an eye out. It's true that Instagram has less users, but they're all more likely to watch video ads if they're interesting. It will be fun to see how it plays out.

josh30

I think Facebook really surpass the youtube in advertising. They have boost in traffic, and most of all there are a lot of people that are subscribing facebook. They have develop also a video ads now. For me they surpass the youtube.

spartan14

I dont think so ,facebook its a huge social site with more that 1 bilion of users but the king of videos its still youtube .In yuotuve are uploaded milions of videos each day

tom93

I think youtube's still a king, cause there are billions of users on Youtube. But video marketing on Facebook's still something should be considered for some reasons: short videos are favourite choice for relaxing; FB can deliver your videos exactly to your target depending on ages, location, sexuality,...; and the most important reason is that the interaction, that's best advantage on FB, cause people love commenting and interacting with others while watching videos
Youtube is king, but still watch out FB. Hope to see more the war between them :D

stoneman

If Facebook can surpass YouTube that will not be now it will still take some times to make that happen but looking at it critically it seems impossible because YouTube is already known for its video channels and also a video search engine, were people go to post their videos and stream videos at thesame time....

But Facebook is just a social media with so many other features but YouTube is focused on videos thanks

manmad

As means of advertising it still probably hasn't surpassed YouTube, because a famous YouTuber can easily be paid to make a review of a certain product and that's going to bring way more exposure than a page, people on Facebook wouldn't pay too much attention to affiliate products at least, due to the fact that most people on Facebook are there just to share random pictures and fun videos.

Marketing Warrior

I would say that Facebook is definitely catching up with YouTube. Facebook recently rolled out in-stream video advertising, which is what YouTube has been doing.

But I think the two are pretty different in what they are trying to achieve

AmieBotella

In this day and age where change is very rapid, I think it is safe to say that Facebook might overrun Youtube in video advertising. But as of now, in my opinion, Facebook hasn't surpassed Youtube yet. I, myself would have seen an advertising video posted on Facebook and when I tried to look for it again, it is a little difficult for me to look for it. So I will try to search it on Youtube and it is ten times more easy to do it rather than try to recall the Facebook page of the ad where I've seen it in Facebook. But Youtube should never underestimate the capabilities of Facebook's innovation.

xerlan777

Facebook has a lot of user. Thus, making it more promising with it comes to advertising. But as for now Youtube is still the best application when it comes to video streaming and watching for it is design that way. As for advertising, Facebook is still behind Youtube when it comes to video. But, one day I believe Facebook will surpass Youtube maybe few years from now.

Zeo

Right now, facebook still haven't surpassed youtube but someday I think it will. I admit I am watching more videos in facebook now than in youtube. But it is undeniable that youtube is still the best because it is easy to find what you are looking for in there, you have a massive library of videos waiting for you to watch them.

Rybert

Most of the video, in facebook are personal and short clip videos, unlike in the youtube it's more lengthy and more detailed, some of the facebook videos are from youtube sites.

BelindaMT

Well there is a possibility that Facebook can surpass youtube when it comes to advertising. I see so many advertisement in facebook compare to youtube. Facebook have millions of users either young or old join facebook and they are very active. No wonder most of the company or business man choose facebook for advertisement.

onlineblogger

Youtube still is the king

Facebook has been developing its video player for the past couple of years, and it has now improved drastically. It's easy to see how it could become a competitor for Youtube in the future, at least as long as short videos are concerned.
And guess what short videos are good for? Advertising. Not the old-style, cheesy kind you see in TV ads, but a fresher and modern type based on funny content, clever sketches and youth involvement. It's only natural such promotion would end up on a social network populated by youngsters.

With YouTube being more centered on video-exclusive content, supported by the channel system, could Facebook surpass it in terms of usage of videos as a means of advertising? Considering how well they blend together with other posts on Facebook, it would seem so, but I'd like to hear some other opinions on it.
I don't think so. I think you tube still rules in the video advertising. There are still a lot of stuff youtube has to offer. Though I must say that Facebook is closing the gap as the days go by. Facebook is doing a great work on this.

Older threads
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies