Why Google is forcing you to use SSL (HTTPS) on your site?

Marc van Leeuwen

Premium Member
I would like to hear your options Why Google is forcing us to use SSL (HTTPS) on our websites? what are the reasons behind this?

paul1129

Google isn't forcing. If you don't wanna do it and you don't need it then why you should do it?

Datacentreplus

They're not forcing anyone to have SSL, just strongly recommending the use of SSL. Why?
It's nice to promote a more secure web...

Tabassum

I did not see any update of Google regarding this.
However, there is a news around that in future Google might give additional ranking benefit to the website using SSL.

achat

In terms of SEO, we know that the goal of most search engines is to provide the best results for their users, and this can be done by giving them a secure connection to the site they are browsing. In this respect the search engines do not care whether there is "sensitive" data on the site (either being presented, or collected); it's simply the case that if the site is served over HTTPS, any potential risks of authentication and encryption are greatly minimised, so the site would be considered "better" than the equivalent site without HTTPS.

OWSTeam

I would like to hear your options Why Google is forcing us to use SSL (HTTPS) on our websites? what are the reasons behind this?
I don't think Google forcing to use SSL. S is for secure. Every single users care about security these days. And Google loves what the users love. HTTPS protects the privacy and security between your website and users browsers. And it ensure your users that your website is secure to use. It builds trust. Many websites don't use this yet, many websites have used. It depends on you, how you want to approach.

jennypitula

If you are entering sensitive information such as your password, credit card information, or social security number on a website. An HTTPS connection adds a blanket of security over that conversation using an SSL/TSL protocol. This connection encrypts data to prevent eavesdropping, protects the integrity of data to prevent corruption in transfer, and provides authentication to ensure communication only with the intended website. So, HTTP is not secure, and you should never trust your sensitive information to such a site. HTTPS is secure and is becoming the web standard. That is the reason Google is forcing us to use SSL.

vishwa

Scopehosts

Any attacker can view the information between your system and the server easily. If your websites is ssl certified then attacker cannot read the sensitive data. It is good if you go will ssl to secure your information.

sree31

Actually Google is not forcing us to use HTTPS. If you don't use HTTPS on a web page that asks for sensitive information such as password, Chrome & other browsers will show a notification in address bar that the page is not secure. This is to inform website visitors that their information such as password will not securely sent over the internet, if they submit information on this page.

When you visit a website, it's helpful to know if your information is being handled securely by that website, especially if you're not tech savvy.

If your website doesn't ask for sensitive information like password, you don't need to HTTPS on your website and Google won't bother you.

You can even have some pages of your website as HTTPS and other pages as HTTP. For example, on my website I only have "new user registration" and "log in" pages on HTTPS and other pages (such as tutorials, blog, contact us, features, pricing, etc) as HTTP. It's perfectly fine.

Basically, if your web page has a user form, use HTTPS for that page. If it doesn't have a user form, you need not HTTPS for that page.

Last edited:

Nancy G

HTTPS is same as HTTP except it has an added SECURITY feature called “encryption” installed via SSL (Secure Socket Layer) which transports data safely and directly, protecting online connections or conversations from one party to another and nothing in between. Sensitive information from websites that are not https/SSL secured are prone to be accessed or intercepted by third parties. The green padlock found before https URL is an added safety feature that let you know that website is secure.

Google has been encouraging migration to https / SSL certified since 2014 in an effort to make the web safe and secure to its users and has been making a success out of it. Companies have perceived this move as a contributor to SEO as more and more users are shifting to using websites with https for safety reasons.

Judas2018

There are still many websites that don't use https and ultimately - it's really a decision e-commerce sites or sites involved in heavy banking or financial transactions use.

Goyum

I believe that Google give you a little ranking boosts if you deployed SSL to you website because google cares about users security. By deploying SSL/TLS on your website, you protect your users sensitive information, business transaction details, etc..

Also, Nobody mentioned most payment gateways require your site to have an SSL certificate. Especially those from banks.

I did not see any update of Google regarding this.
However, there is a news around that in future Google might give additional ranking benefit to the website using SSL.
Source : Google Blog - HTTPS as a ranking signal
SearchEngineLand - Google To Give Secure Sites A Ranking Boost

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.