Do you use h4, h5 and h6 at all?

Vename

I can't understand why these tags exist at all. Only in isolated cases I saw h4 tags in a couple of places and that's it. Is this a rudiment or are they still needed somewhere?

Hugo E.

These tags are used to denote subheadings in a document and provide a visual hierarchy to the content, making it easier for readers to understand the structure of the text.

While h1, h2, and h3 are often used for major headings, h4, h5, and h6 can be useful for dividing content into smaller sections, such as subsections within a chapter or subcategories within a topic.

In terms of SEO, properly using these heading tags can be beneficial for a webpage. Search engines use headings to understand the structure of a page and determine the relevance of the content. Using headings properly can help search engines understand the main topics and subtopics of the content on a page, which can improve its ranking in search results.

Overall, while h4, h5, and h6 may not be used as frequently as h1, h2, and h3, they are still important HTML tags that can provide structure and organization to a document and help improve its SEO.

hipcat

I think you'll find opinions on both sides for this one, but personally I don't use them anymore and think they are obsolete. People reading your content have no idea what tages you are using, or even what tags are used for. That's a webmaster thing.

I used them years ago when first learning html, but haven't in at least 10 years, as I consider them pointless. Google will rank your content according to good writing, not H tags.

Daniel@30

Certainly, you can use HTML h4, h5, and h6 tags in your content to organize information hierarchically, enhance readability, and provide a structured layout on your webpage, particularly for subsections or subheadings within larger sections.

bijutoha

Even though heading tags is not commonly used, they are still necessary. Different heading tags are used to signify the heading's level of importance. Your content will still be structured and legible if you only use h1 and h2 tags, but it will be less accessible to search engines and people with disabilities. Even though you may not encounter h4 tags frequently, they are still an essential element of HTML and should be used when appropriate.

powerkaraoke

I can't understand why these tags exist at all. Only in isolated cases I saw h4 tags in a couple of places and that's it. Is this a rudiment or are they still needed somewhere?
Hey there! Great question, and I totally get where you're coming from. HTML tags like h4 can sometimes seem a bit puzzling, especially when you don't see them used as often as the more common ones. But trust me, they do have their place in the web development world.

Think of HTML tags as a way to structure and organize content on a webpage. While h1, h2, and h3 tags are widely used for headings of varying importance, h4 tags might not be as common because they usually represent a sub-subheading or a lower level of hierarchy. Imagine you're reading a really long article with multiple sections. The h4 tags could come in handy to break down those smaller chunks of information, making it easier for both search engines and readers to understand the content flow. So, while h4 tags might not pop up as frequently, they serve a purpose in maintaining a clear and structured layout, especially for more content.

Marc van Leeuwen

Premium Member
While h4, h5, and h6 tags might not carry as much SEO weight as h1-h3, they still play a role in content organization and user experience. When used properly, they help search engines understand your content's hierarchy and provide context to readers. Focus on using them to structure your content logically and make it more readable for both search engines and visitors. Although they might not directly impact rankings like h1-h3, they contribute to accessibility, which is increasingly important for SEO. So, while not the primary SEO drivers, h4, h5, and h6 tags can enhance your content's structure and overall user engagement.

Kartik_Goswami

H4 tags can still be useful, but I would not use H5-H6 tags. Apart from no impact on SEO, you might not even need them.

Let's assume that you are following a heading hierarchy on your page (i.e. H3 tags under H2 tags & H4 tags under a specific H3 tag)
  1. Now, suppose on your article/post, you add an H3 tag (you must have marked it H3 because it is not as important as H2 => meaning you don't consider it a highly important heading/section)

2. Still, you add a sub-heading under that point with an H4 tag (it can be a descriptive article and seems alright).

3. But there is no chance that you will add another sub-point in that H4 tag with H5.
Moreover, if the heading contains some importance, you use a major heading tag. When you do not consider it important, why even use an H5-H6 tag, just keep it in simple text (P tag or LI).

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.