Does the domain have any influence on SEO?

Danlucy

Hey Guys,
I'm looking for a domain for my website but domain .com bought from some one and I only have an option with .co or .co.uk.
Do you think it has any influence on Google rankings if I use .co or .co.uk?
Perhaps I should buy a domain starting with .com which unique with my audience?

RDO Servers

Using your primary keyword in your domain name will give you a slight advantage.

I don't believe using different TLDs makes a difference, but I'm not sure. Hopefully one of our local SEO pro's will chine in.

elcidofaguy

The choice of TLD will not have any influence on rankings i.e. a .com will rank better than a .net etc is not true... Its only because of the massive number of .com sites out there that such perceptions, myths arise... Google and other search engines rank your website on factors such as the type and quality of backlinks (i.e. off-page SEO) as well as various on-page factors.... the type of TLD is not a factor...

As RDO mentions above - the domain name can help with ranking for a particular keyword.... With that said - if there is already a website with the .com name and you are looking to get hold of the same name with another TLD - then be careful that you are not violating copyright, trademark's etc.... On my part I would avoid it completely as many people will inevitably mistake your site for the .com version - so chances are you'll be losing some traffic as well....

If your primary market is UK focused - then co.uk is a good option - however if it is not then dont go for it... Most people that see a site which has country level domain i.e. co.uk, nl, de etc will assume it is not applicable if they are viewing it from another country.... Do note that just because a site has a country level TLD it does not mean it is restricted to that country... i.e. co.uk sites can rank on google.com with out any issues as with google.co.uk... its just that national TLDs tend to be skewed towards businesses which are only targeting a market which is either at local or national level - hence another perception that such TLDs help with local rankings which is not the case (its whats on the website and what links point to it which matters)....

guptachetan121993

It doesn't have any influence on the TLD's you choose.
You can purchase any domain you find available. ;)

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views