"Scam" Keyword Targeting... Do? or Don't?

Scam Keyword Targeting! Do or Don't?

• I Use It But Do NOT Allow My Affiliates To Do So

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm Neutral or Couldn't Care Less. To Each His/Her Own.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Developer

I'm curious to know how many of you use, or even condone, the
use of "SCAM" related keyword targeting within either your own
affiliate promotions or promotions by your affiliates...

Me, personally, I am against anything of the sort. The LAST thing
I want is for my name, or the name of my product, to appear with
in ANY search results related to the word SCAM. I have worked too
hard to build my reputation and I spend too much time, money and
effort on every one of my products to risk losing ANY sale, small or
large, because someone has associated its name with "SCAM".

On the other side of the coin, I can see how lucrative this can be
for others to use and institute within their marketing efforts, however,
as for me, and any of my own affiliates, the word SCAM is a BIG NO NO!

How about you? What are your thoughts?

elcidofaguy

Interesting question given that I have mixed feelings on this... On one hand by letting affiliates make use of negative keywords which are twisted into being a sales pitch in support of your product you inevitably have a "Reputation" protection in place....

Lets say in the future somebody wants to be malicious and writes a negative review... the chances of that ranking is much lower now due to the competition and further its drowned out by all of the noise made by affiliates...

On my part I don't use it - but I don't care if affiliates do... In the same token I also understand why some folks feel uncomfortable about it - but sad fact is you have little control of what other people put online and hence its better to anticipate the worst and have mitigation in place... this being a good example of that ;-)

Miguelito203

Yeah, it does work -- especially in the "make money online" niche, where a lot of crap comes out. When it comes to being an affiliate, you shouldn't lie. If something is a scam, say it's a scam and tell people why. After that, you can make a legitimate recommendation. Your audience will appreciate you for telling the truth. If you lie and try to scam people, it just means really high refund rates -- a waste of time. It also hurts your brand and destroy any credibility you have. Some product creators do not like affiliates using this method to drive traffic to their sites. I understand this. However, when you are in a niche where there are a lot of "less-than-stellar" products, it's a question that's going to get asked quite a bit.

Joey

biGGuns

You can't really control what people post around the web. So at some point is very possible some piece of content with your product + scam in the title to appear. As elcidofaguy said, allowing your affs to use your product name + scam is adding another layer in your ORM defense.

Also when your product is mentioned in that manner, that leaves the impression that your product is popular. Think about it, who is searching Monica's Money Making Formula + Scam? A person who is almost ready to buy! He/She want to hear that this is not a bad product in order to make the final step in their decision making process. Also who will write a separate article about unknown product in which the legitimacy of the product is discussed? So in general as I said, this leaves the impression of popularity. For me in most cases allowing or performing this practice is a positive thing.

ChuckNguyen

To be honest, whether you like it or not it's going to happen. And yes, this happens to ANY niche and not just the Make Money Online industry.

If you don't allow your affiliates to rank for keywords with the word "Scam" to promote your offer than other sly marketers will write on up.

I've seen many "Scam" keywords ranked, promoting WA.

So instead of having these sly marketers who rank for your product with the word scam in an attempt to promote their own stuff. Why not let your affiliates do so to protect your reputation.

Miguelito203

Miguelito203
If, by "WA" you mean "Wealthy Affiliate," you're so right. It doesn't hurt their brand because the product is legit and has been around long enough to more of less to speak for itself. The only marketers who have to really worry about something like that effecting their brand are the ones who put out crappy stuff. Any product that first hits the market -- regardless of the niche -- is going to have to go through the initial "testing"/how good is this product really phase for a little bit. If the product is really good, all that stuff will just blow over.

Joey

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views