How to deal with high CPU usage?

freds86

I'm having troubles on CPU usages when my site is getting more visitors sometimes site's downed by CPU usage that my hosting provider limited it. I must kill processes or refresh my host. Sometimes, I got alerts from my hosting providers they can suspend my host whenever :(

My question is how to deal with high CPU usage or are there any good ways to solve that?

buzybee-kevin

Without taking a look at your website and server configuration it would be hard to diagnose. The easiest and most common response is to recommend upgrading to a managed VPS.

It also depends on the server configuration and hardware specs. A lower end server will struggle faster than a high end server.

If you are running a CMS system like WordPress you can disable plugins you don't absolutely need and see if that helps also enable page caching.

Reactions: freds86

freds86

freds86
I'm running WP blogs at hostgator on a shared hosting package, I got this problem more times but I don't know how to deal with it.

Of course, it could be solved if i move to a VPS or dedicated server but its price is very high and I couldn't pay for that because my revenue on my blogs are still low :)

I will try to improve my wordpress blog as your suggestions, but not sure it will succeed coz it depends on ability of hosting more

buzybee-kevin

Well HostGator customer support has diminished recently they are losing customers in droves. I would ask them to take a look at your php process and see what is using the CPU.

WordPress is a resource hungry CMS system it typical uses more resources even when its not a busy site.

Well your in a conundrum which came first hosting or the web site. You may want to invest into a quality hosting plat form, since without that you will lose visitors and then your blog loses revenue. Without a quality hosting platform all that work you put into it may be lost.

I think that it is ironic that people work so hard to create a busy site then when it gets busy and needs better hosting they fret about upgrading and try to find ways around it.

I knew you had a WP site just by your comments, try installing WP super caching.

freds86

I got some small issues with WP super caching or w3 total cache, I have not used them.
which hosting providers you will recommend me for fast host but affordable price?
I'm going to upgrade my hosting to a vps for a fast and stronger web hosting

KingServers01

You need to check various process running and find for the one which is using lot of resources unnecessarily. You should kill that process. Also check for unwanted data on server or several version of backups which are not needed then you can remove that.

Miko

I'm having troubles on CPU usages when my site is getting more visitors sometimes site's downed by CPU usage that my hosting provider limited it. I must kill processes or refresh my host. Sometimes, I got alerts from my hosting providers they can suspend my host whenever :(

My question is how to deal with high CPU usage or are there any good ways to solve that?
Can you show a screenshot of your computer specs and the processes running on your task manager?
I can probably help you on this.

ElixantTechnology

Wordpress does use a lot of resources, however a lot of your issues can be resolved simply by switching hosting providers. As stated in a previous disccusion, including this one, there have been a lot of issues with HostGator since the EIG buyout. I am confident that if you either:

1) Utilize something like W3 Total Cache
2) Switch Hosting Providers

That you can continue with a low price point without having to worry about your current usage. I would look for a provider that utilizes a Nginx Reverse Proxy + xCache/eAccelerator, and go from there.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.