Manage a Dedicated Server?

rwsorensen

WMS Marketplace Seller
Dear friends,

Our company is using a VPS but maybe we will switch to a dedicated server soon

I want to know what things do we need to know to control/manage a Dedicated Server correctly?

Is it different from controlling a VPS? if yes, what are the differences?

Please support me, your helps are appreciated!

Regards,
Sorensen

TSOHost - Akin

Hi Sorensen,

This is a very good question and a lot of people panic when making the jump from a VPS to Dedicated server but in actual fact there is no visible difference that you will see or notice (aside from the gain in power/performance of course!)

Whether you are using SSH, cPanel, Plesk, Website Panel, or any other control panel for that matter you will see no visible difference and if you're doing a good job on the VPS keep going the same thing on the Dedicated Server! Naturally, there are a few addition things that you will be able to do with the Dedicated Server but in terms on management there is no difference at all.

In fact, if your hosting provider is taking care of the migration for you you will likely be able to keep the same IP address and assuming they do a good job you won't even notice the change! :)

rwsorensen

WMS Marketplace Seller
Whether you are using SSH, cPanel, Plesk, Website Panel, or any other control panel for that matter you will see no visible difference and if you're doing a good job on the VPS keep going the same thing on the Dedicated Server!
@TSOHost - Akin Thanks for your reply

so If we are using unmanaged VPS then it's no more diffreent from a Dedicated Server, right?
and how to know if I am owning a Dedicated server, I mean how to check its features?
Are there any different things between VPS and Dedicated Server that I should know?

TSOHost - Akin

TSOHost - Akin
That's correct! There is still no difference if you are managing the server yourself.

From your end it can sometimes be a bit tricky to know if you are using a physical machine over a virtual server but looking at the processor information can usually give you a pretty good indication. If not, just be open and ask your hosting provider. They should have no reason to hide this information from you and will happily tell you what chassis your server is using along with hardware specifications.

This only different thing between a VPS and a Dedicated Server is that a Dedicated Server is a physical machine. Although this seems obvious, what it means is that you can't upgrade or amend your resources (such as RAM and HDD) as quickly and easily as you can in a VPS (because it requires physical component to be added/changed). When choosing your Dedicated Server you should bear this in mind and ensure you have ample disk space to allow for growth if expected.

King-Servers

Hi, there is no difference and you dont need to worry as long as your hosting provider is taking care of hardware maintenance. You will have root access to the server just like your VPS and you will be able to manage dedicated server just like the way you managed your VPS.

Reactions: rwsorensen

rwsorensen

WMS Marketplace Seller
rwsorensen
It's great when hearing about this share. I'm afraid that I will not manage a dedicated server if I update our VPS to dedicated server in the future becuase I thought it will have more different between a VPS and a defecated server.

Older threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.