Hyphen in Domain Name?

crespy

I don't know if I buy a domain with hyphen in it, it's good or bad for SEO?

for example:
With no hyphen
mydomain.com
and with hyphen
my-domain.com
Do you think it will affect to user experience when they see my domain?

ericplotz1

I don't know if I buy a domain with hyphen in it, it's good or bad for SEO?

for example:
With no hyphen

and with hyphen

Do you think it will affect to user experience when they see my domain?

I've never used a hyphen in the domain name, and I would actually steer clear of creating new EMD's. Too much info on the web telling people to use EMD's and everyone is doing it. I wouldn't worry about it. Pick a brand thats catchy, people will remember it more.

AnthonyMcCartn

The major problem that occurs while using a hyphen in domain name that is at the time of marketing your domain name by word of mouth because it is difficult to remember a domain name with hyphen. Apart from this there is no problem for using a hyphen in domain name.

ElixantTechnology

We utilize a hyphen in our domain name, however we also have additional domains pointed to our server(s) so that the website is more accessible. eg.

Primary Domain: domain-name.com
Additional Domains: domain.ca, doimain.org, domain.tk, anotherdomain.com, etc

From an SEO standpoint, we've been working more and more on optimizing the website, and it seems that we are seeing some success. Also, no issues with customers unable to locate the site.

qount

If i can register mydomain(keywords).com,i will use it,but,if this domain name is not available,i prefer my-domain.com to my-domain.net or my-domain.org .etc

elcidofaguy

From a SEO perspective it makes no difference... G does not prefer one over the other... However my preference is without the hypthen as people tend to remember URLs better.... Also if a website is not available without hyphen and you choose to go for the hyphened name - then I am sure that this could cause problems too with regards to branding, copyright etc... So I would also stay away from that too.... In some cases it makes sense to buy the two versions and redirect one to the other if you are serious about protecting your brand....

Older threads
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies