What is TTL?

elcidofaguy

I just looked this up as I wanted to know... Time-to-live (TTL) is a value in an Internet Protocol (IP) packet that tells a network router whether or not the packet has been in the network too long and should be discarded. For more info/ref [URLnf="http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/time-to-live"]here[/URLnf]

ron13315

does it mean that hosting number 1 is faster than number 2?

elcidofaguy

elcidofaguy
No it doesnt mean 1 is faster than 2... It just means that on certain DNS records it persists longer... For example for DNS txt records I have set up re-routing/authentication for SMTP as I use self hosting... So should that lookup not be found it gives up after certain amount of time (TTL)... A records I think can be used for mapping domains, Name records for hosting and so forth... I found this which may help with understanding the different types: http://help.dnsmadeeasy.com/spry_menu/a-record/

Hassan

TTL is a value in an Internet Protocol (IP) packet that tells a network router whether or not the packet has been in the network too long and should be discarded. Due to many reasons packets may not get delivered to their destination in a length of time.

ElixantTechnology

TTL in the web hosting world is mainly describing the time to live for each DNS query or record. At the end of that ttl, DNS servers are to grab new information from the DNS servers to propogate the internet, making it possible for you to access your websites via Domain Names rather than needing to remember IP Addresses.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.