Should I keep old website or develop a new one?

trustdnb

I have had a severe drop in rankings that has taken place over the past few months. According to Google analytics, my average listings with positions #15 and #20 for my 2 main keywords. Prior to the drop, I was on top 5 first page of google. I haven't paid much attention to it because I had plenty of work from my clients and wasn't looking for more at the time. I want to continue keeping this old site up and running, also getting the traffic back again because the site is clean, original content with no linking schemes or anything out of the ordinary.

The keywords are not overly competitive and the traffic was very light, but it was targeted and worked well.

Should I keep old website or develop a new one?? I know it would take about the same amount of time.

What is your opinion?

hostbrink

First of all you must figure out the reason for drop in ranking for KW. Removing those issues will help you get back your site .....

Reactions: trustdnb

trustdnb

trustdnb
Google updates over 200 algorithms any time without any reports about their processes so I I couldn't know the reasons why my keyword rankings decreased, maybe I didn't time to maintain the site daily so It dropped in ranking.

hostbrink

Yes, you are right.. start maintaining your site on daily basis ... updated frequently... if it worked for you than it will be great ..... Now google is taking page load time and mobile friendly site design as factors for SERP ... check out if your site has responsive design and lowered page load time ...

elcidofaguy

First of all if I was you I would conduct a SEO audit of your website for on-page and off-page factors... this may identify reasons for the traffic drop which you did not expect e.g. robots meta tag, canonicalization, crawling errors etc as well as loss of back links which may have provided link juice but due to its removal has meant G now sees your site as being less relevant... etc etc... It will also identify many improvements which you can implement...

If I was you I would focus on your website... Creating a new one will do nothing... You'll be starting at the bottom of the hill...

danny83

I was on top 5 first page of google. I haven't paid much attention to it because [...]
I think this is the main reason. Organic SEO needs daily engagement and hard work, for increasing information quality, content of the website and keeping in step with the competition so you can stay in focus of the end user and competitive.
It is the best to check the messages for website in Google webmaster tools: check for backlinks, check crawl errors such as 404 pages and redirection problems, duplicate content issues, if site isnt responsive you should adjust it.

MightWeb

What they said ^. Apart from that, it's possible someone else just did a better job at your keywords. Do an audit and get a report, act from that.

kenmichaels

First check with the old site why your keywords are dropped and why they are not improving, then check with the content and then with onpage. Then decide what needs to be done.

Norm

Pretty much agree with what's been said here. First if you don't have webmaster tools set up for your site, do that and then check things like index status, site map, and for any errors. Then look to add to your site, tweaking what's already there and if there's any room for additional content and possibly a blog. Having one page about a topic is okay, but to keep talking about it in blogs, then Google will really get the idea of what your site is about. Don't just keep using the same keywords over and over though. Use a variety, it will help Google even more. If you were a window company for example if all you mentioned was windows, that could be easily confused with windows software, but if you mention windows in a variety of ways like 'windows and doors, vinyl windows, energy efficient windows…. that helps them link your site to all these different types of terms. Know what I mean? It's good that you say you have unique content--keep it that way. And is your site mobile responsive? As of April 21, Google is going to penalize those that aren't -- at least in mobile searches. Anyway, before I write a book, check for errors and then look to improve your content. And if you're local, make sure your Google plus page is verified and optimized and put a link on your site to get reviews. This is all bare minimum stuff these days. It's getting more competitive by the day. What was good 3 years ago SEO wise is not anymore. Good luck.

james01

Go to the Google webmaster and click on disavow tool, and disavow all low quality backlinks which you think no good for your website or disavow all, after down this process send recommendation request. It take some time, but I am sure you got good results.

Chelsea R. Minks

Hiii...
I think, firstly you should track a martics for your site, that would help you to known the main reason of ranking degradation. Then according to it take necessary steps, and also keep updating your content.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.