Is there any effect on keyword ranking in SERP results due to web hosting?

sagabizsolutions

If the hosting of my website is changed from one country to another country, is there any effect on keyword ranking in SERP results.

elcidofaguy

If the hosting of my website is changed from one country to another country, is there any effect on keyword ranking in SERP results.
No it does not matter where your website is hosted... You could be living on the North Pole with your website hosted in the South Pole and as such the location of your webserver will not impact your rankings.... Webserver location is not a ranking factor.

What does impact your rankings is website performance as that is one of the 200+ factors which Google uses to assess rankings... In otherwords if you have a really slow website then that is a problem.... But do realize slow websites is not due to location of server but to do with the server memory, OS, HD etc..

In addition depending on your location relative to the server then performance can vary - so do check that also... and if need be change webhosts...

RDO Servers

I often see people stress over the location of their web server and the affect it plays in site speed.

Truth is, location is the least of your worries.
A) Google does not care where your server is so this alone will not affect your rankings.
B) With today's network speeds, speed really isn't a issue either.

On a quality network, your looking about 40ms latency from New York to LA. 100ms from New York to london, 200ms from New York to Sydney.

Google is not going to penalise you for 200ms latency, and I doubt your users will notice that either.

Now that is one way latency, per packet. Which brings me to my next point.
Poor web development is actually the #1 cause of a slow website. Too many concurrent database connections, uncompressed content, too many round trips, lack of asynchronous loading, etc.

Issues like this will cause much larger speed/performance issues then the location of your webserver.

steitieh

No it does not matter where your website is hosted... You could be living on the North Pole with your website hosted in the South Pole and as such the location of your webserver will not impact your rankings.... Webserver location is not a ranking factor.
This is not really true when you are owning a good web hosting you will have more opportunities to have more indexed pages by search engine spiders if they feel easy to crawl your webpages, of course I am mentioning about speed of a web hosting.

A) Google does not care where your server is so this alone will not affect your rankings.
You will get better local ranking if you choose right server location.

RDO Servers

RDO Servers
Yes, if you have a slow website, it can negatively affect your rankings. Elcid was not talking about speed, he was talking about location. Therefore his statement is correct.

Google does not care where your server is located. There are not web hosting providers located in every city so it would be ridiculous to accume you have to have locat web hosting in order to have good local rankings.

If you believe otherwise, I would love to see documentation supporting the contrary.

Older threads
Replies
Views
wms
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.