What are the basic limitations of a shared web hosting?

harrygreen90

When I bought a new shared hosting package, uploaded websites on it but in the process of using, it showed limitations on shared hosting package that for example as CPU usage, limit number of connections on a site...etc. The problems is, these hidden things web hosting providers didn't reveal them when they offered. I want to know what are the basic limitations of a shared web hosting thus I can ask them before purchasing a hosting package?

vishwa

If your website is brand new and have low amount of traffic than shared hosting is a good option for you. Most of the hosting providers does not reveal their limitations while they claim to provide unlimited everything. So, to my point of view always ignore hosting that claims unlimited which looks unpromising. Better go with hosting providers that can show you what they offer. Shared hosting can handle low and medium traffic websites. You have to upgrade to VPS when your site traffic grows.

RDO Servers

All shared hosting plans will have limits. That is simply the nature of shared hosting. Otherwise, one website could consume all of the servers resources and take other customers websites offline.

Most hosts have pretty similar resource limits. If these limits are causing problems for your site, you can ask your hosts what the limits are and try to find a host with higher limits, but it may also mean it is time to move your site to a VPS or dedicated server.

Jovani

CPU and Bandwidth if the hosting company clearly not define the bandwidth.
Most web hosting companies will show it as unlimited but I am sure they will limit with an exact number, just they know.

hostslim

The limits depends on what your provider has set as limit. Most of the time the budget providers set limits lower so they can put more websites on a server. What are you looking for exactly?

vps9

Bandwidth usage, SSD/HDD usage, number of addon websites, number of sub domain, number of databases and more. again it depends on the plan you select. Because I have seen that most of them provide unlimited resources also. check whether its really unlimited or not. Contact the support team for more clarifications.

ElixantTechnology

In the end it boils down to which provider you use. Some will have hidden limitations on the space and bandwidth, others will have limitations on things such as Memory/RAM and Number of Processes.. A little research can go a long way, otherwise, don't hesitate to contact a provider before choosing them to get an idea on how they do things!

harrygreen90

The limits depends on what your provider has set as limit. Most of the time the budget providers set limits lower so they can put more websites on a server. What are you looking for exactly?
Of course is I am caring on number of connections to a website on a shared account, which I got suspended on a shared hosting before.

Bandwidth usage, SSD/HDD usage, number of addon websites, number of sub domain, number of databases and more. again it depends on the plan you select. Because I have seen that most of them provide unlimited resources also. check whether its really unlimited or not. Contact the support team for more clarifications.
It is possible to contact them before purchasing a shared hosting plan?

In the end it boils down to which provider you use. Some will have hidden limitations on the space and bandwidth, others will have limitations on things such as Memory/RAM and Number of Processes.. A little research can go a long way, otherwise, don't hesitate to contact a provider before choosing them to get an idea on how they do things!
You are right on this, I didn't contact the hosting provider before purchasing their package so I got the problem on limiting connections to an account on my shared account. I think it was an experience to make better choice for next times.

ElixantTechnology

Keep in mind that generally speaking Shared Hosting is not intended for high traffic websites. Most large hosting providers will cram thousands of websites on one server, limiting resources as such... I recommend going with a smaller, less recognized hosting provider that can provide you with higher resource limits and more one on one support.

SenseiSteve

Most shared web hosting providers list resource limitations in their Terms of Service, and that includes those that advertise unlimited. High traffic websites will naturally push the boundaries of those limitations. Always ask before signing on. Sometimes, the best recourse is simply to upgrade to a decent VPS.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.