What are the best online web development courses?

lkovnih226

I know there are more websites are offering web development courses but I still want to know where and how to get the best online web development courses?
This would be a beginners course in HTML / CSS / PHP/ MySQL / Javascript and others relate to web development.

Mike001

Ikovnih,

You are correct, there are many websites out there that offer web development training. One of the things I tell most of my students is to make certain that the material is up to date. That is a big problem with W3C, Lynda, Udemy, and Total Training, and the courses that they have listed, most of them are out of date and they have no support. Of course, it is a catch 22 for most of my students as they are new to web development and are not certain what is up to date.

I have reviewed many of the sites out there and purchased 100's of their courses to review and use in my training programs. Very few courses, I would say honestly. less than 10, had any material that was useful for a structured training course. And that was the reason I started my own site. Most of the material I was seeing was out of date and they offered little to no support once the material was purchased. Most people will have questions when they are learning programming and without a way to get those questions answered they will become frustrated and many quit.

I have a couple hundred videos on line that you can view for free and if you have questions, just drop me an email and I will respond to the question.

I also have training packages that are available for download. These are complete training packages that take you step-by-step through the learning process. Many of the packages are based on the classes that I teach and have been reviewed and updated by many of my students from the actual classroom training classes.

I am a freelance web developer that has worked in some of the most high security areas of web development. I teach web engineering at a college level and setup my site originally to support my classroom students at their request. That was over 7 years ago. The site now has a large following from members, high schools, universities and many individuals that are interested in learning web development.

Check it out and if you have any questions, just drop me an email, I will help you anyway that I can.

Good luck in your journey.

EpicGlobalWeb

Tons of old material out there. Always check the dates of the material if available.

Fundamentally, js, html, php don't really changr that much. It's the libraries and purposes they are used in that do change - frequently I might add.

I'd say there are almost too many options for "which language to learn" today.

20 years ago we all had html, c, and front page lol.

Mike001

The HTML structuring language has gone through a major change over the last couple of years. There are many new elements that are now used to structure pages and if you are not following "Best Practices" for the structure of the pages you will begin to see SEO hits beginning in January on your sites. The major search engines have been warning about this for over a year.

That date has been put out there for over a year and obviously they mean it as they are already warning people about the alt tags, accessibility, screen readers, etc. Just run a test on an older site from one of the major search engine test apps and you will see exactly what I mean about how and what they are looking for. It is not a simple or easy process to stay up to date and compliant.

That is one of the two big reason I stay away from Joomla and WordPress and the other large CMS systems. They are so big with code and bloat they just cannot keep up with the changes that are taking place in the proper structure of web pages and site design. If you are interested the other is security.

That is not to say that the web developers agree with all of the changes that are taking place as many of the changes in our opinion do not make a lot of sense and have not really been explained well for structure. As an example, an article tag. If you look on a few different web standards sites, and these are the knuckleheads that are making the standards, many of them cannot agree on exactly how that tag should be used, and that is just one example of many of the issues that are occurring with the new standards.

But to state that there have not been many changes in the last few years is selling that person short on learning correctly. There have been 1000's of changes in how we implement style and structure over the last 5 years. There have been major changes in just the way that we handle navigation systems. Not to mention page responsiveness. Mobility issues a few years ago did not even exist and yet today if your site is not mobile responsive you take a huge hit in SEO.

That is one of the points I was trying to make with a lot of those classes. The vast majority of those classes do not even mention responsiveness or even discuss media queries, That is a large part of page design and structure.

PHP is in the process of going through a large development change/ upgrade with PHP7. Structural coding in a few years will become a thing of the past, everything is moving to Classes and Methods. Anyone that does not stay up to date with those changes will really be left behind. That will impact everything that we are doing with dynamic site design.

Now personally, these changes work great for me as many people will ignore what is coming down the road, even though they have been told for years, and my development business will have more work then we will be able to handle, I will be able to increase my staff and keep everyone busy as hell. I love it when a plan comes together. People love to procrastinate and think they can do it tomorrow, well tomorrow is almost here, and most web sites and web developers have not been preparing.

Staying on the leading edge of technology takes a lot of effort, you are constantly having to improve and increase your skills. In this technology, learning is a never ending process. We are always learning something new and trying to look for way to improve what is out there.

These changes are long overdue as they will get rid of a lot of the crap sites that are out there. They will improve the security of the good sites and make it much easier to catch the bad guys with all the changes that are coming in the meta data that is being captured from the sites. Have you looked at the new data that is being captured in the meta tags of sites beginning next year? If not you should! This will really put a serious hurt on those Black Hat knuckleheads that are out there scamming the system.

If you are going to learn to be a developer, learn the right way. Don't take short cuts. It will save you a lot of grief in the short run and lead to a very successful career in the long run.

EpicGlobalWeb

PHP7's instant search interested me the most. Now you can finally do it without all that ajax shizzle :D

It seems to me, Mike, that the new direction is to put everything into the cloud and modern operating systems are going to be hybrid. You've probably seen entire desktop applications written mostly in JavaScript now.

At the same time, the consumer electronics market is slowly getting rid of desktops and laptops, switching over to tablets and cell phones. Why? Have you ever worked on a major project on your tablet? I know I haven't. Even with the keyboards they are just weird to code on.

Tons of things are changing. But my point in the last post was that if you can define a variable, write a function, an object, and do some basic math then the rest is just syntax and libraries. Don't you agree?

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.