rewrite /forum to /forums (but extensive URLS)

shrawaaan

I had a forum with /forum but it has changed to /forums I want to know if there is a single line code which can redirect my old URL to new ones. It is not simple redirection from /forum to /forums The URL after /forum/abc.html are now /forums/abc.html There are some 500000 URL that need to be changed. Could anybody help

For example

xxx.org/forum/topic/144934-pio-threatened-rti-applicant/ is now xxx.org/forums/topic/144934-pio-threatened-rti-applicant/

If you see above the change is just 'S' for all the 500000 URLs

I have already tried this RewriteEngine On RewriteRule ^forum/(.*)$ /forums/$1 [NC,L]
I am left with permanant redirection ony I am trying this way Redirect 301 /forum/42534-how-know-my-pf-account-no.html /forums/42534-how-know-my-pf-account-no.html

PLease let me know if you can help
Thanks
Shrawan

Rob Whisonant

Not sure if I understand what you are really after. But if all you are trying to do is change what you tried to a 301, the below would work.

RewriteRule ^subdirectory/(.*)$ /anotherdirectory/$1 [R=301,NC,L]

dineshsma

If your website has high number of visitors then rewriting 500000 URLs will overload your webserver. Use below command to replace all the links in all the files. Make sure to backup the forum just in case if anything goes wrong.

Code:
for i in `grep -lr "xxx.org/forum/"`; do sed -i 's/xxx\.org\/forum\//xxx\.org\/forums\//g' $i; done
To replace the links from database, dump the database in sql format (for ex. database.sql) then run below command replace the link
Code:
sed -i 's/xxx\.org\/forum\//xxx\.org\/forums\//g' database.sql
After successful execution of the above command, restore the database.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views