Is it legal to rewrite other people's articles?

argel241

It's not a good idea to rewrite someone's article.but I don't know if it will be considered as illegal.Just create your own and must be from your own idea and dont rely on other's idea.

yahm2001

No, it is not legal to rewrite others article. It's a form of copywriting dude and it is against the law.

tiffiecute

Writing something out of another thing is harmless as long as you'll not be tagged as a 'copycat'. What I mean is, the articles' idea and your taking towards that idea must be expressively written in your own words. Simple as that. Afterall, we have our freedom of expression and speech. Trying to steal one's identity by rewriting the same thing is a no-no.

Jacob.k

That's how things are done online... you get the article, basically rewrite it (within the use of common sense), expand it, add something that the original is missing... and you get better, updated version of the original.

Many marketers would then compete for the same or very similar KWs... I think they even call it traffic or content cannibalization, but don't take my word for it, google it.

yajtagaamo

I don't think it would be wrong if you are going to use it just as a basis and then you will create an improved version of the article. Honestly, I've done those things during my university days when my professor asked me to create a case study. Then by surfing the web, I have managed to saw an article about the said topic I used the article as my basis and added some of my opinions to create a new and personalized version of that article.

victoroj

It is not illegal to rewrite an article or content, as long as you dont really copy the whole thing. But the bigger question is, is it right to do such a thing? Nowadays, we cant really determine what is original and what is not. And there is a thin line between being original and not.

anaaibachan

When you're writing, you just have to make sure that every idea that is not yours must be given credit. You have to cite your source every time, especially when you're doing research. Be careful when paraphrasing because the idea might become different from what the author has originally intended. If you're not sure about this, it's better to consult an expert to help you out with this.

I am following a blogger who wrote in her post that her review about a product was copied. I find that sad because when you make a review about a product, you make your own personal observations. If you only did a copy and paste of that review, then it's not a review at all.

ecole11j

I'm not a lawyer or a legal expert so I can't be 100% certain, but I don't think this would actually be considered illegal. Lazy and unethical maybe, but not illegal. As others have mentioned, the bigger question probably would be whether it would negatively affect your rankings. To be clear, I think there's a pretty major difference between researching a topic and incorporating information from various other articles into your article. However, re-writing an entire article wholesale seems like it could definitely have a negative impact.

justlouisse

I think it is not illegal as longs you've asked permission to the original author or anything to credit the owner. There are some articles that you could've use as reference or basis to write something.

anette08

I think rewriting other people's article is not that illegal as long as you did not plagarise its content because that case would be Plagarism- the practice of taking someone else's work,ideas or content and considering that you own it. Other contents or article might be helpful of course coz you can get addtional idea about the topic,if you want to rewrite it,just make sure that you have your own more additional suggestion or information,rewordings or re-phrasing.

CookieRunner

Here's my point of view, If your writer copied almost or all of the words where she saw or read the article, it would obviously fall under plagiarism and would be not credible. But if your writer researched about it, then wrote suggestions, her opinion about it, credited the author ow what not, that would be perfectly fine. Besides, we all do that if we don't have any ideas anymore. We research and we voice out our opinions, i think it would be better off that way.

kailey

Of course not, you can be charge with plagiarism if you do that, not unlesa it has no copyright and the writer have given you permissio to rewrite it on his behalf. But I don't think he'll allow that. Anyways you said you have a better idea that's why you are planni to rewrite it, why don't you just create your own article, why waste your time editing someone's article if the credit will never be yours.

HazelDJ

I have a writer who usually writes articles for my blog but I have a better idea thats she will rewrite some articles from other blogs to make better ones.

But I don't know does this affect to SEO rankings and Is it legal to rewrite other people's articles?
I think that is plagiarism. I do not have an idea about international laws as well as its penalty if you are caught with it. It is better that you make your own articles. Somehow, you will be safe from any charges in the future. In addition to that, your esteem is leveled up because you made something from your own. It is authentic.

zanghie0942

No, for me it is not legal to rewrite other people's article because it is like stealing someone's property unless you have a permission from the owner. If you want to write something, you should research not by copying anyone's work but studying it. If you want to write some of his/her article give an owner a credit for using his work. It is also a pleasure to a writer if anyone is giving him/her a credit in an article or work because it seems that his/her work is great that anyone acknowledge it.

Nancy G

I have a writer who usually writes articles for my blog but I have a better idea thats she will rewrite some articles from other blogs to make better ones.

But I don't know does this affect to SEO rankings and Is it legal to rewrite other people's articles?

There are laws that protect against copyright infringement. Writers follow a safer route and create one they can call their own.

Writers do read other people’s articles to draw inspirations from them. Even the word "borrowed" may not be appropriate. There are a lot of common topics but the presentations distinguish the outstanding "authoritative" writers, from the good and the mediocre ones.

Sometimes given the changing scenes in the market and lifestyles, a popular article may be outdated in terms of its relevance to the present time. By adapting the basic idea towards the present values and given with a new creative twist, the content can be elevated to a new dimension or context given the writer’s perspective. The outcome becomes a truly fresh relevant content totally different from the original.

Google has a way of tracking lack of uniqueness in the contents and may affect your SEO eventually if you continue this way.

There are laws that protect against copyright infringement. Writers follow a safer route and create one they can call their own.

Writers do read other people’s articles to draw inspirations from them. Even the word "borrowed" may not be appropriate. There are a lot of common topics but the presentations distinguish the outstanding "authoritative" writers, from the good and the mediocre ones.

Sometimes given the changing scenes in the market and lifestyles, a popular article may be outdated in terms of its relevance to the present time. By adapting the basic idea towards the present values and given with a new creative twist, the content can be elevated to a new dimension or context given the writer’s perspective. The outcome becomes a truly fresh relevant content totally different from the original.

Google has a way of tracking lack of uniqueness in the contents and may affect your SEO eventually if you continue this way.

kcboclot

It is legal. The writer just have to cite proper acknowledgment in his article. Afterall, articles written online and which is being re-used in another site are regular happenings and cannot really be prevented on a daily basis. What one must focused on is the uniqueness of one's content to make it appear legit and consistent.

macfais

Rewriting other writer's pieces is acceptable. In fact, a research is based on another research. An article is based on other articles. And a news is taken from other's statement. However, in order to avoid plagiarism or copyright infringement, the following technique was introduced:

1. Summarizing
I think everybody knows what is "summarizing" and how to make a summary. A summary of an article might be one sentence or a summary of a book might be one paragraph only. A good summary will tell you directly the point of a topic. It is hard to summarize by just merely rewriting. One must grab and capture the general thought.

2. Paraphrasing
Paraphrasing is rewording. I think rewriting (which you are asking) is similar to paraphrasing. They have commonly the same number of words.

For example:

Original: Any trip to Philippines should include a visit to Boracay to experience their amazing beaches.
Paraphrase: Be sure to include a Boracay beach experience when visiting Philippines.

3. Qouting
Quoting is just copying word for word but acknowledging the author or the reference. It is usually enclosed by double apostrophe.

Hope this will help.

Franco777

Rewriting other peoples' articles is considered plagiarism. This is a very huge problem to site and blog owners. If you are wring an article on the topic similar to another article already written, I think it is always a good idea to borrow some ideas but not to rewrite it. Articles should be original.

Judas2018

This is a complicated topic. First off - if you're a freelancer who people pay to rewrite articles, briefs or blurbs - then yes it is legal. Because you're being hired to spruce up or improve already written documents. That's called being an 'editor.' You're paid in house or outside your own company or collective to edit all sorts of things. Now on the other hand - if you're taking already existing work, changing a few words here and there, and then re-posting it to your blog or site as your own work? Then yes - THAT is illegal.

IPlease

Sure you can rewrite others work. You just need to make sure that you are not copying anything from their work. As long as you use your own words, you will be fine. Just make sure to run it by copyscape to determine that none of it is viewed as being copied.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.