Getting listed on Dmoz still important for SEO?

Harry P

Someone think that if a website get listed on Dmoz, its SEO will be improved and Dmoz is important for SEO? Is that true?
What do you guys think?

Jim Anson

Yes it still counts but not that much anymore. Make sure that you work on social media sites as an effective way for you to value your campaign.

newsdeals

In my opinion, Dmoz.org listing isn't important to me as it's just a link. Maybe you could call it as an authority link, but I also could replace it by many other authority links. So, there is no need to focus much on getting listed on Dmoz.org. Take your time on other tasks, such as write new articles.

wrigmark

Dmoz is a large open directory platform. Sometimes getting listed in Dmoz still matters, but not so much as there are other authoritative websites are available online where you can create your listing instead of listing in Dmoz.

PTTed

Someone think that if a website get listed on Dmoz, its SEO will be improved and Dmoz is important for SEO? Is that true?
What do you guys think?
DMOZ links are trusted by Google. There is a lot of PageRank flowing around inside of the DMOZ directory. A lot of DMOZ category pages have high quality inbound links to them from other reputable places. If you get a link from one of those pages, then yes, that link can be very beneficial for SEO. Some categories are much more valuable links than others.

Reactions: Harry P

newsdeals

newsdeals
Almost of its categories have a lot of external links and it will decrease % of link juice to your website.

SEOPub

In my opinion, Dmoz.org listing isn't important to me as it's just a link. Maybe you could call it as an authority link, but I also could replace it by many other authority links. So, there is no need to focus much on getting listed on Dmoz.org. Take your time on other tasks, such as write new articles.
It literally takes like 2 minutes to submit a website. No reason not to do it.

Almost of its categories have a lot of external links and it will decrease % of link juice to your website.
Sure. Just like most other webpages on the internet. Still, I would take a link on most Dmoz pages with 50 outgoing links compared to pages on most other sites that only have a few outgoing links.

vishwa

Dmoz is very old and high authority web directory. Submitting links in Dmoz is still effective But the main problem is to get listed in their as it is not an easy task.

ProxyRadar

DMOZ is moderated catalogue, additionally with good PageRank, so DMOZ listing is good

Shole

I think it's good for traffic but it isn't used to boost your ranks anymore. As far as I know about this, the update of googles algorithms changed the way indexing works for directories, making them almost useless...well making them useless for ranking your domain.

It's a good thing to have as I am sure it would drive traffic to your site, but other than that directories have become less worth then what they used to be.

Harry P

Yes it still counts but not that much anymore. Make sure that you work on social media sites as an effective way for you to value your campaign.
Social media sites are only for increasing traffic, no value for backinks

I could agree with you but not completely.

Dmoz is a large open directory platform. Sometimes getting listed in Dmoz still matters, but not so much as there are other authoritative websites are available online where you can create your listing instead of listing in Dmoz.
Yeah I think so but don't have any ways to measure its value if my site listed in Dmoz

If you get a link from one of those pages, then yes, that link can be very beneficial for SEO
I tried to check some sites on Google with keyword and links that putting in Dmoz but it's not showing in top 10. I thought it is not effective for SEO ranking
It literally takes like 2 minutes to submit a website. No reason not to do it.
Yeh you are right, it looks like a game that you can get lucky or not to be listed there

As far as I know about this, the update of googles algorithms changed the way indexing works for directories, making them almost useless...well making them useless for ranking your domain.
It's the reason why I have not use directories any more.

BillEssley

WMS Marketplace Seller
It's not true. I don't think Dmoz can affect on SEO rankings to any websites listed on that directory.

PTTed

I tried to check some sites on Google with keyword and links that putting in Dmoz but it's not showing in top 10. I thought it is not effective for SEO ranking
Harry, I have no idea what you are saying here. Your first sentence here doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. Please check your grammar and try again.

It's not true. I don't think Dmoz can affect on SEO rankings to any websites listed on that directory.
Bill, you are free to think what you want to think and it is good to come to your own conclusions. But, I am telling you, if you get a link from DMOZ for the right category, it absolutely does matter and does improve your rankings. In fact, it can improve them substantially. DMOZ is definitely worth getting a link from if you can get it.

As far as other directories go, there are other directories that are also very much worthwhile getting links from. And depending on that directory and how juicy it is, those other directory links might be the most powerful links your website will ever get.

If you think that directory links are not good for SEO, you are fooling yourself (for some unknown reason). The kinds of directory links that suck are the millions of directories that don't have any inbound links pointing to them and don't moderate their listings for spam/bad neighborhoods.

DMOZ is to directory sites as Wikipedia is to wiki sites. It's the best site out there for its type of site. If Wikipedia flowed PageRank through links, then links from Wikipedia would be like gold for SEO. DMOZ does flow PageRank. Go ahead and make up your own mind about whether it is worth getting a link from there.

**Side note - The only people you will see saying that "Dmoz links are worthless" are people who have never gotten a link from there.

SenseiSteve

My take is "Why not get listed in DMOZ?" I mean, how much effort does it really take? Submit your site and move on to other strategies. Of course, DMOZ links still matter, but how much is debatable. Why leave anything on the table for your competitors?

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.