Matt Cutts says there are over 200 ranking factors...

PTTed

Nobody has such a list that is accurate. Nobody.

The lists that exist on the internet that try to list all 200 are full of fluffy crap that doesn't matter at all for rankings. All that fluffy crap will steer you in the wrong direction.

Well there very well might be 200+ factors that are considered in rankings, there are only a handful of things that really matter a lot.

Focus on 3 things if you want to rank higher for a specific search phrase:

1) How can you make your page more relevant for that search phrase in the eyes of search engines and people
2) How can you make your page appear more "authoritative" to search engines and people
3) How can you make your page more valuable, useful and likable to the person who lands on it when they search for that phrase

Repeatedly ask yourself those questions again and again and then adjust accordingly.

More questions that will steer you in the right direction:

* What is that person really looking for when they type in that search phrase?
* What changes can I make to this page content that will make the page seem like it is more specifically relevant to what that person is looking for when they type in that search phrase?
* Am I being thorough enough with my page content or is my page missing something that would make it even better?
* Is the entire page about that one specific topic or am I covering too many tangents?
* How can I get people to talk with their friends about my page or something on my page?
* How could I possibly get an expert in this field to talk about my page or something that is on my page?
* What could I add to my page or do to my page to increase the chance that it will get an expert's attention?
* What could I do to this page that would make people want to email a link to this page to their friends?
* What do you suppose the searcher is hoping to find when they land on my page?
* What could I do to the page/website that would make the searcher think - wow this is awesome?

Those kinds of questions will steer you in the right direction.

Build relevant pages for the search queries you are targeting.
Get other people to link to those pages as much as possible without just creating all the links yourself.
If you are going to create links yourself - then make them look like someone else did it naturally if you can.
Make the quality of the content on the page and the rest of your website good enough so that people actually like it and don't hate it.

Last edited:
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies