What is important when upgrading a shared hosting account to VPS?

jordel

My hosting provider advised me to consider upgrading my shared hosting account to VPS for better resources

I've been looking around for hours, checking out VPS hosting offers on forums, but I'm no techie and I'm really getting lost reading all specifics and hosting features

Can you guys tell me what I really need to pay attention to? (RAM, Storage, bandwidth, CPU cores or What else is important when getting VPS?

Any tips on reliable, affordable VPS hosting companies are welcome. Thanks

Who is your current hosting provider and what package are you on? On said package, what resource are you capping or nearly capping (the reason your host is recommending an upgrade)?

The resource that is requiring you to upgrade should be the first thing you consider. Do some research as it could be a matter of your hosting provider having a really low resource limit on this though again it could be the other way around meaning a VPS is essential for you at this stage.

When looking for a VPS, you want to look at your current disk space and bandwidth usage. Based on how popular your site is and how quickly you're consuming these resources, ensure you save enough for future growth.

However you have mentioned the key things to be looking out for: Ram, storage, bandwidth and CPU. Ensure you're looking at your current consumption to make the best decision when purchasing a VPS.

laceibanet

Your disk space usage and processing power is the real kicker in a vps choice. So you might ask your current provider to give you an estimate in processing you're currently using. You can also kind of see for yourself, if you're on a shared host and that is the only website you'll be hosting on the vps, you'll probably be fine. You get much more processing power in a vps so look into one with one or two cores to start with, then upgrade accordingly when you find the website chugging.
If you're using a control panel you can get that installed on your vps also, so ask your provider how much the control panel will be and they usually migrate everything for you.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.