Do you need an SSL Certificate if you are running an online business?

jordel

Hi guys,

Do you need an SSL Certificate if you are running an online business?

I am asking this question to some WordPress experts as some said that an SSL certificate is necessary if you offer a product online via your website and it's better for your clients enter their information into your forms for the subscription process and any other details they share with you at any point?

Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

Please give reasons for your thoughts.

Thanks

Developer

An SSL certificate is usually only necessary if you are collecting personal and sensitive information such as social security numbers, credit card numbers, etc... If your contact forms merely ask for name, email address and even home addresses, an SSL is NOT a NECESSITY... If you are using a third party payment processor, such as PayPal, all the sensitive information is usually taken on THEIR site which is always secured with SSL.

mark-blockity

Hi guys,

As Developer said it is not necesary but advisable.

I bet you have admid login page in your wordpress so spend $9 for a certificate before being hacked.

Regards,
Mark

Ron Killian

I've used SSL for several years now, but stopped. Seemed a waste of money. I do take payments, but all financials are done on pay pal. I don't collect credit card information and frankly I don't want to. No thank you.

Like Developer said, unless it's sensitive data, you don't really need it.

Course there was talk that google used SSL as a small ranking factor, but that does not seem to be true. Actually one reason I kept my SSL for as long as I did.

Not to mention, my SSL was with Godaddy and seems it kept going up each year.

Unless I hear valid reasons, I probably won't go back.

Web Marketing Tool

I would advise to use it. It gives "peace of mind" security to visitors as they know you are more serious.

Plus Google has announced they give preference to sites with SSL (even if it is only a small amount). Other companies also may begin giving preference to sites hat have SSL.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
S
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.