.HTML and / in URL for SEO?

Harry P

Hey Guys,

I am starting an online business site, it uses Wordpress cms but I would like to hear your advice if I change URLs of posts

when changing from / to .html and remove /category/ in category URL, does it help improving SEO?

i.e

example.com/category/url-shortening/

change to

example.com/url-shortening/

example.com/my-post-title/

change to

example.com/my-post-title.html
Which one is better? or should I keep the default settings from WP?

Waiting for your honest answers!

brainsdigital

We always advise making your URL friendly what we mean by that ? we mean your URL must become like that example.com/your-post-title/ and include the keyword you are looking for ranking on in the URL like example.com/seo-services and we prefer to exclude the category from the URL and this decision will truly help you to decide.

Miguelito203

I do my titles like the post titles since I write my titles and stuff with S.E.O. in mind. I don't use categories on my sites like I've seen a lot of other marketers do. This is mainly due to the fact that I haven't had a need for them, though. I don't know if this is something that will change with the Amazon site I'm building or not, though. Generally, though, I think too many categories looks messy and tacky. I'm curious to know what others think.

Joey

Mariajerek

Hi,

example.com/category/url-shortening/ this one is good for users as well as search engine bots. Because if you have an eCommerce website, you have to mention category also which help to create breadcrumb also.

Harry P

Hi,

example.com/category/url-shortening/ this one is good for users as well as search engine bots. Because if you have an eCommerce website, you have to mention category also which help to create breadcrumb also.
I don't think URL is related to creating breadcrumb in this case.
I do my titles like the post titles since I write my titles and stuff with S.E.O. in mind. I don't use categories on my sites like I've seen a lot of other marketers do. This is mainly due to the fact that I haven't had a need for them, though. I don't know if this is something that will change with the Amazon site I'm building or not, though. Generally, though, I think too many categories looks messy and tacky. I'm curious to know what others think.

Joey
I agree with you, having categories in the URL make it long and looking messy for viewers.

Also as I read in some articles, long URLs are not good for SEO so putting /category/ in urls is not necessary for indexing of Google. Google spiders will think they are long urls and can give less opportunities to craw categories.

aegisinfosys

I also recommend to go for example.com/url-shortening/. Because google also show a limited length URL in search result. If you add category or something else in URL so it makes url's length long.

So you have to add your priority keywords in URL.

This will help you in search result and whenever user see your URL in search result so they can find the business related keywords in the URL of your site.

freehdwalls

All of us always advise producing your URL friendly what we mean simply by that? we imply your URL need to become like that case. com/your-post-title/ and include the keyword you are looking for rating on in the LINK like example. com/seo-services and we prefer to rule out the category from the WEB SITE and this decision is going to truly help you to determine.

Older threads
Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.