• REGISTER HERE - Join us for FREE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stick this thread
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Given: 13/0
    Thanks

.com vs .us, which is best?

I was thinking about setting up a dedicated ecommerce website and have been looking at domain names. Since my target buyer will be in the United States which domain extension will be best for SEO, a .com or .us?

I read that country domains get better results in local searches so I thought about a .us.

.com vs .us, which is best? Any thoughts on this?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 529/2
    Given: 28/1
    Thanks
    Always go with the .com, don't even bother with country specific domains. Not worth it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 2/0
    Thanks
    Always go with the .com, don't even bother with country specific domains. Not worth it.
    Agree with it, specialy if you start ecommerce maybe you are shipping worldwide but the domain are .us and people from italy are thinking they cant ship to us because we dont live in usa (example).

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciarda View Post
    Agree with it, specialy if you start ecommerce maybe you are shipping worldwide but the domain are .us and people from italy are thinking they cant ship to us because we dont live in usa (example).
    What if I am just going to be selling in the US?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seller View Post
    That's going to be fine in my opinion, but if someone dont remember your website domain for first he try with .com and not .us

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Think about it. When you are trying to remember a website address about blue widgets you visited before.... Do you type in bluewidgets.com or bluewidgets.us? Everyone types in .com.... Nobody types in .us....

.us makes zero sense for a ecommerce site.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciarda View Post
    That's going to be fine in my opinion, but if someone dont remember your website domain for first he try with .com and not .us
    So then i would be losing a lot of traffic to the .com domai if their is one?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Whisonant View Post
    Think about it. When you are trying to remember a website address about blue widgets you visited before.... Do you type in bluewidgets.com or bluewidgets.us? Everyone types in .com.... Nobody types in .us..
    You have a good point there. I was just curious as to if the local search ranking improvements by using a country domain would be worth it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    So then i would be losing a lot of traffic to the .com domai if their is one?
    I was just trying to say what Rob Whisonat explain correcly and better :|
    You dont lose traffic when you use .com.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    You have a good point there. I was just curious as to if the local search ranking improvements by using a country domain would be worth it.
    Not sure where you are hearing this but when ever I go do a search at a search engine, 99% of the time all I see is .com extensions in the result. Maybe a .net here and there.

Be very careful who you listen to. The majority of information on the net is written by people that have never successfully used the information they are spewing. Also a ton of the information is spun, fake or just false.

Listen and learn from people that have ACTUALLY been a success from exactly what they are teaching you.

Don't get paralysis by analysis. Just do it. Get that site up and learn as you go. You will learn a lot more by actually taking action and quit trying to over analyse things.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Be very careful who you listen to. The majority of information on the net is written by people that have never successfully used the information they are spewing. Also a ton of the information is spun, fake or just false.
    I agree but it's hard to know who is credible and who is not.

Don't get paralysis by analysis. Just do it. Get that site up and learn as you go. You will learn a lot more by actually taking action and quit trying to over analyse things.
    I tend to overthink things a lot of times. As far as with websites, some of the things I see around in reading has got me afraid to mess up my site and get some kind of permanent damage to it from doing something wrong.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0
    Thanks
    If the .com is available to register or purchase from someone else, you should go with it.
    E commerce sites are best with .com, whatever be the country.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lithin View Post
    If the .com is available to register or purchase from someone else, you should go with it.
    E commerce sites are best with .com, whatever be the country.
    Why are ecommerce bites best with a .com? Does that help their rankings perhaps?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 7/0
    Thanks
    You can by multiple domains point to the same place. Only SEO for the main domain.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 30/2
    Given: 18/4
    Thanks
    I will always use dot com if possible, and never consider dot other extensions. Dot com is more general and user-friendly. If in case you would like to seduce search engines with a more targetted keywords that are included in the domain, then extensions other than dot com are best.
    Last edited by Sam; 03-07-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 87/4
    Given: 115/2
    Thanks
    Why are ecommerce bites best with a .com? Does that help their rankings perhaps?
    .COM is always a best choice in almost cases, and YES it will help you rank better than .US. For ecommerce, .COM will be easy to remember by customers than other extensions. it's a user behavior.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0
    Thanks
    It is just the trend/experience. People are most familiar with .com and commerce. Also Google loves .com domains. Having the .com will definitely increase your SEO.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smsmbooster View Post
    You can by multiple domains point to the same place. Only SEO for the main domain.
    Why buy multiple domains if there is not SEO done for all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I will alway use dot com if possible, and never consider dot other extensions. Dot com is more general and user-friendly. If in case you would like to seduce search engines with a more targetted keywords that are included in the domain, then extensions other than dot com are best.
    What about using an extension like .hosting if I was to have a web hosting blog? Would a .com still be better in this case?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 30/2
    Given: 18/4
    Thanks
    Why buy multiple domains if there is not SEO done for all of them?

What about using an extension like .hosting if I was to have a web hosting blog? Would a .com still be better in this case?
    The most familiar and common extension is dot com. It was the first domain extension, and it also easier to sell in case you would like to sell your domain. Other extensions are just the alternative to a domain in case you want a short with a common word in the domain. For example, if your company name is MYBUSINESS, of course the first option you'd like to buy is a MYBUSINESS dot com. If it's not available to be bought, then you can opt other extensions if you insist the domain name must be MYBUSINESS.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Other extensions are just the alternative to a domain in case you want a short with a common word in the domain. For example, if your company name is MYBUSINESS, of course the first option you'd like to buy is a MYBUSINESS dot com. If it's not available to be bought, then you can opt other extensions if you insist the domain name must be MYBUSINESS.
    If I wasn't looking to sell the domain ever and just wanted to use it myself then would one of those other word domain extensions work if the .com wasn't available for something that I really wanted?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    If I wasn't looking to sell the domain ever and just wanted to use it myself then would one of those other word domain extensions work if the .com wasn't available for something that I really wanted?
    Why have you not purchased a domain yet? You are procrastinating and over analyzing it. You should have had a basic site up by now. Get busy.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Why have you not purchased a domain yet? You are procrastinating and over analyzing it. You should have had a basic site up by now. Get busy.
    I already have one that isn't an ecommerce only site. I have been trying to figure out things for getting one setup that is just for ecommerce use only.

I just don't know much about ecommerce sites so that's one reason why I have been going slower. If it was a regular blog site or something I would have had something setup by now.

I tend to overthink and overanalyze things as you can tell. LOL

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/1
    Given: 10/0
    Thanks
    .Com is much more popular and like a "common-international" domain extension. Just go with .com.
    If we were your guest/client, we would prefer the .com website to the .us.
    The .com is not like a local site, but the .us is.
    It's like a face of your business.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 355/0
    Given: 38/0
    Thanks
    Seller,

You really are over analyzing this as Rob pointed out many posts ago.

If you look at Google's own stats, 58% of all web addresses are using the .com extension.

Unless you are a government agency or a nonprofit website the first extension that comes to mind from 96% of web users is the .com extension. Those are the exact stats I put out to my students in there class on Introduction to Domain Names and Extensions for a successful website. I gathered these stats at the close of 2016, from Google themselves to update my course material.

Think about it, briefly, with all the available extensions that are currently being sold, 58% of developers still prefer to use the .com extension. I have had many customers find all kinds of creative ways to spell their domain name in order to be certain they had a .com extension, even though their preferred name was available in multiple other extensions.

There is a reason it is the most popular, it is the original address scheme for the web, it has been around since the beginning. In 1984 when the web was first being implemented all web addresses were developed around a number scheme. A real pain in the ass to remember, but it worked. In 1985 domain names began to emerge, and the extensions, .com, .net and .org were introduced.

At that time there were restriction on who could apply for a .net and .org extension. So the .com extension took off as the common extension of the web.

Today there are over 300 extensions for the web. Some are still restricted as to who apply for them, some are reserved for certain audiences, to help better filter the web content, and others are open for domain name inclusion.

If you can find a way to make your name on a .com extension, do it!!!! Case closed, that is the best extension currently. If you have to chose another extension because there is no way to get your name in a .com format, choose a .net, that is the second most popular. Between the 2 extensions they have 89% of the internet. Over 298 extensions, share what is left.

I hope this helps answer your question.,
    Mike
    Learn Web Development - OnLine Video Training OnTargetHTML5
    Have Questions On Training or Web Development: Contact Mike

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike001 View Post
    You really are over analyzing this as Rob pointed out many posts ago.
    I tend to do that often, especially when it's something that I really don't know as much about as I would like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike001 View Post
    If you can find a way to make your name on a .com extension, do it!!!! Case closed, that is the best extension currently.
    Here's a question for you on that exact matter. What are your feelings on made up names?

When something isn't available in a traditional domain name I have seen a lot of people and companies create a name that had no meaning till they came up with it. Is doing something like that a good idea or is that a last desperate measure to take?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/1
    Given: 5/0
    Thanks
    When you do marketing you'd have to emphasize the .us part. For instance, if you had a site called TheFunCarWash.us, then you'd have to advertise it as "TheFunCarWash.us" not "The Fun Car Wash". However, there could be some disagreement whether this extra step will help with a customer's memory. Is there anyone who thinks this particular advertising method won't work? For instance, what if they think the "us" part is part of the domain name and not the extension?

Newer Threads

1. smw1982
    bomb2060
    Replies: 4 | Views: 1737
    Last post by bomb2060, 07-09-2017, 11:46 PM
  2. JohsonAdam
    brucealmighty
    Replies: 10 | Views: 2588
    Last post by brucealmighty, 07-09-2017, 01:59 PM
  3. JohsonAdam
    Weirdest
    Replies: 1 | Views: 802